Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

How big is WAL-MART?

JohnnyDos

• Member ID:  77
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  111
  • Topic Count:  1018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7527
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Achievement Points:  69486
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  47

Just how big is Walmart?

Read the yellow highlights at the end...OMG, this should really boggle your mind.

The joke about the sign on the moon saying 'Wal-Mart is coming soon" could well be true!!

Take a look at the yellow highlights

1.  At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3.. Wal-Mart  will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all  year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer, and most can't speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

7.  Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA   of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.

11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur At a Wal-Mart store.  (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

13.  The value of product for Wal-Mart passing through the port of San Diego each year is a larger sum than 93% of ALL countries Gross National Product (GNP).....and that is only ONE port ...one way that’s how Wal-Mart gets it's stuff.

14. Of the 1.6 million employees, only 1.2% make a living above the poverty level.

15. Wal-Mart's head office is located and centralized in Bentonville. Due to this fact, there are more millionaires per square mile there than any place on Earth.

16. The official U.S. Government position is that Wal-Mart's prices are no lower than anyone else's when compared to a typical families weekly purchases. That's the view of the statisticians at the Bureau Of Labor Statistics (BLS) responsible for calculating the Consumer Price Index (CPI).

17.  92% of everything Wal-Mart sells comes from China .  Another 4% comes from Chinese owned companies in the U.S. Or in 3rd world countries.

18. Wal-Mart and MOST large companies, take out life insurance on it’s employees, without their knowing.  If an employee dies, ALL the insurance moneys go to the companies. Ie. An employee making $18,000 per year, dies, and the company might make as much as $1 million.  

Most often these moneys, coming from what is commonly referred to as "Dead Peasant Life Insurance Policies", is paid out to executives as bonuses.  (a common practice, unknown by the average consumer).

19.  Wal-Mart now averages a "profit" (not sales) of $36 billion per year.

20.  Let Wal-Mart bail out Wall Street.  If not, consider shopping someplace else.

If we closed all the Wal-Mart stores would China go bankrupt?????????

• Member ID:  2048
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967
  • Device:  Windows

crazy shit especially the Dead Peasant Life Insurance Policies-that should be illegal to take out an insurance plan on someone without there knowing-its just wrong

• Member ID:  87
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3789
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Achievement Points:  27249
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  04/02/1871

it does not tell 99% of its employees are on government supplements to help them get by because wal-mart does not pay a livable wage.

1. Walmart's low-wage workers cost U.S. taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billionin public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report published to coincide with Tax Day, April 15.Apr 15, 2014

• Member ID:  25938
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  1493
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Achievement Points:  13299
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/08/1961

If you don't like Wal-Mart (like me) don't shop there. If you need to support a family on your earnings...don't work there (again like me).

jn

• Member ID:  1194
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  436
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6692
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  53094
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  04/15/1960

It's easy to make Walmart out as the evil bad guy, but the fact of the matter is that they employ 1% of the US population and many of the talking points you guys have listed simply aren't true. Those figures that actually are close to correct also apply to Target, McDonalds and many other low paying companies. The number of Walmart employees on food stamps is more like 15% and not 99% as cited above. The dead peasant life insurance (something that is common and those of us in the business call key man insurance) ended in the mid 1990's and didn't apply to every store across the country. There are a number of other inaccuracies but I'm simply not going to take the time to research each one. I can tell you that I live in a major metropolitan area with a few million other people and the closest Walmart to me is 35 minutes away. There are however 4 Target stores within 20 minutes of me.

The fact of the matter is that there are millions of unskilled workers in the US making at or below the federal minimum wage, and if many of them didn't work at places like Walmart, Target, or McDonalds then they probably wouldn't be working at all and 100% of them would be on Welfare and food stamps. As long as we continue our transformation from a manufacturing country to a consumer country, expect it all to get much worse.

• Member ID:  9767
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  471
  • Birthday:  03/22/1971

I have 3 wal-marts with-in 5 miles of me...and the all have nick-names......1 to the east(3.5 hispanic-mart), 1 to the north(2.6 senior-mart) and 1 to the west (4.2 new-mart).

• Member ID:  989
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  274
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  18334
  • Content Per Day:  3.48
  • Achievement Points:  134325
  • Days Won:  274
  • Birthday:  01/27/1946

I have 3 wal-marts with-in 5 miles of me...and the all have nick-names......1 to the east(3.5 hispanic-mart), 1 to the north(2.6 senior-mart) and 1 to the west (4.2 new-mart).

I have 3 clan members within 50 miles of me and they all have the same nick name - >IDIOT<  !!!!

• Member ID:  20684
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2224
  • Birthday:  01/06/1970

+1 @@little_old_man

I couldn't have said it better myself

the amount of mis-information about Wal-Mart is mind-boggling!

people just repost it every day.

interesting fact...

a few of my friends work at our local Wal-Mart

and have for years.. they have decent Insurance and make over $20 an hour

well ABOVE the poverty line

a couple of them have been there for over 20 years. (2 of them are married and are both are dept managers and have a pretty decent combined income (around 90k yr, that's pretty high in our area)

the notion that ANY company should pay everyone a "livable wage" is ludicrous,

we don't have the right to a livable wage, if we fail to prepare ourselves for our future.. we lose

and lets face it, stocking peas on a shelf is a MINIMUM wage job..

I worked there on my way up, everyone has to start somewhere, and since they are the biggest employer in the world (aside from the US Govt) what better place to start!

I learned about running a department, ordering, Hiring people, profit margins....

all stuff that helps me run a successful business today..

it really wasn't as bad as people make it out to be

I wonder how many of today's and tomorrow's entrepreneurs started there?

the amount of charitable donations that company hands out over and over is stunning! (1.3 Billion in 2013)

2 Billion to "fight hunger"

they have committed 20 Billion to buy from women owned businesses

as for all the china made crap..

that solution is simple...

Wal-mart, Target, Meijer and all the other places like that are here for one reason... to sell stuff for a profit..

if we don't buy it.. they won't sell it.. plain and simple..

they will adapt..

let that garbage sit on their shelves and rot.. they will mark it down and never order it again

the real problem (as I see it)

everyone wants to make "good money" but nobody wants to work hard for it