Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Japan Crisis

Shamu

• Member ID:  715
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  418
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2178
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Achievement Points:  16606
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/04/1943
  • Device:  Windows

Not much has been said here about the ongoing crisis in Japan, not sure if that because it is so far removed from us or because there remains a lingering dislike of Japan here in the States. Keep in mind biased attitudes could be because of WW II or the economic dominance of Japan in recent years. I suspect any animosity I have is because of the impact they have had on the American automobile industry. I also recognize we in the States initially shot our own selves in the foot with poor quality cars which has since improved dramatically......... amazing what a little competition can do.

Anyway, off of my rant.

Recent events at the nuclear plants has caught my attention and admiration of the Japanese people. Their Nuclear plants are in crisis yet workers knowingly risk their lives by going back to their plants to do their duty. These workers know they may very well die from their efforts.

There is no looting, or none that I have heard of. Can New Orleans say the same..... I don't think so.

Many Japanese have put Public Service ahead of personal needs in tasks as simple as directing traffic.

Their police forces have not disappered as they did in N.O..

People stand in orderly lines to receive food and aid.

No rioting.

Even the politicians and business owners show a level of humility unheard of in our culture.

Their lives have been devastated yet they manage a level of civility that almost no other culture could maintain.

I'll be damned if I do not find myself admiring the Japanese people for their performance in a time of crisis.

Kudos to them!

• Member ID:  1891
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1092
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  6106
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/19/1985

I have the utmost respect for those 50 workers who keep working in the Fukushima plant.

They risk their lives for the sake of more than 100.000 fellow Japaneses.

They are allready being showcased as heroes of the nation and I truly admire them for the risks and sacrifices they are taken to help the country from a nucleair disaster!

• Member ID:  24
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  1753
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  12250
  • Birthday:  12/30/1967

I agree...the thing that struck me was watching the one employer wandering around tracking down his employees to see if they were alright,this guy had over 300 workers and he's trying to locate them all himself.The true concern and tears of joy when he located one of them was really awe-inspiring.You would be hard pressed to see that in the west unless it was the smallest of Mom and Pop operations.

• Member ID:  1130
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  216
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2267
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Achievement Points:  17291
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/02/1948

100% in agreement with all the above posts. Well said guys.

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.29
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Achievement Points:  131490
  • Days Won:  116

I watched a news program this morning, there were 100's queueing in the rain outside a supermarket for hours only to find when it was their turn to buy provisions that the store was empty, they were taken to one side and politely told that there was nothing for them and they all nodded politely and left without one moan, i know for sure that would'nt happen in the UK, i like the Japanese, many British and allied servicemen suffered terrible things at their hands in ww2 but that was in the past, my country probably did just as many nasty things in our illustrious past in countries such as India.

• Member ID:  295
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  1535
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  8175
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

i see what u r sayin but  what i remember is the police killin people for tryin to cross a bridge etc. hell i wouldnt be stayin in no line under those measures...we turned on ourselves cause for days there was no help THNX BUSH! AND THE MEDIA! i remember them showin white people looting then sayin they were tryin to survive...but the blacks were criminals when they were looting... caused a inner race war.. man i feel for anyone who went through it..was a very sad time indeed ...all those who loss there lives in the dome...we didnt have america helpin  like they help in other countries (which still makes no sense to me)im just glad my family is ok and i wish the best for the japanese and anyone here who has friends or family there....u know its fucked up when japan actually takes help.  THEY BETTA BE TALKIN TO RUSSIA AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! the russians can help a great deal.

• Member ID:  151
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  62
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9137
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Achievement Points:  94152
  • Days Won:  314
  • Birthday:  05/17/1959
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

Well said. Definitely a different culture. Did you catch the homeless guys sitting outside with others offering Diane Sawyer food?!

He hardly had enough for himself and the few others with him, yet he offered it up to a stranger. Of course, she declined since she likely ate earlier. Hopefully, they can get the nuclear facilities under control.

• Member ID:  1891
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  1092
  • Achievement Points:  6106
  • Birthday:  03/19/1985

and these people deserve at least a bullet in the knee-cap:

(motivational made by a /b/-tart of 4chan)

1300287312283.jpg

• Member ID:  46
  • Followers:  104
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4316
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Achievement Points:  34774
  • Days Won:  11

First for the post above with the pictures and comments, worse needs to be done to those selfish jerkoffs.  Second I totally agree with the above comments, I totally admire them.  Like someone said about the workers and stuff, totally amazing.  Still sending my prayers out to the people of Japan.

• Member ID:  174
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  129
  • Topic Count:  387
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  14881
  • Content Per Day:  2.78
  • Achievement Points:  91059
  • Days Won:  52
  • Birthday:  04/23/1970
  • Device:  Macintosh

We all can learn something from these souls... They have my respect & thoughts.

• Member ID:  607
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  75
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3338
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Achievement Points:  33689
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  09/16/1966
  • Device:  Android

I can not really add to whats already been said apart from to add my thoughts and Prayers to all those affected by this ongoing tradgedy.

But on a side note these are the most industrious people in the world so if anybody can recover and become stronger from this disaster I am very sure Japan can

• Member ID:  88
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3484
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Achievement Points:  22909
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1991
  • Device:  Android

IV been stuck to this disaster like Fly on shit..its on 24/7 and watching it..i can only say i hope they manage to Control the Nuclear power plants..and i agree with what baldie said these are the most industrious people in the world so if anybody can

recover and become stronger from this disaster I am very sure Japan can

• Member ID:  859
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  681
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  4117
  • Birthday:  11/04/1968

crackxi
i see what u r sayin but  what i remember is the police killin people for tryin to cross a bridge etc. hell i wouldnt be stayin in no line under those measures...we turned on ourselves cause for days there was no help THNX BUSH! AND THE MEDIA! i remember them showin white people looting then sayin they were tryin to survive...but the blacks were criminals when they were looting... caused a inner race war.. man i feel for anyone who went through it..was a very sad time indeed ...all those who loss there lives in the dome...we didnt have america helpin  like they help in other countries (which still makes no sense to me)im just glad my family is ok and i wish the best for the japanese and anyone here who has friends or family there....u know its fucked up when japan actually takes help.  THEY BETTA BE TALKIN TO RUSSIA AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! the russians can help a great deal.

Yep, it was Bush's fault that hundreds of thousands IGNORED evacuation orders given, 3 days before Katrina hit.  He was personally looting stores. 

Bush asked Gov. Landrieu two days before Katrina made landfall, to activate the LA Nat'l Guard - which she promptly did several hours AFTER the levees broke.  And don't even get me started on "Mayor Nagin".

The Federal Gov't (including the President) has limited Constitutional powers, as to what they can & can't do fin and for individual states - without a full Declaration of War approved by Congress.  The President can NOT *Constitutionally* take action or intercede on a state's behalf....  the Fed can't even call for a "State of Emergency", until the involved state itself, does.  That's the law.  Had Bush done more, he would have literally broken the law - and I can only imagine what Bush-haters would have said about THAT. 

Point is, Katrina was no more Bush's fault - than the Gulf Oil Spill was Obama's fault  - regardless of partisans' desire to bludgeon them with it, and blame them for the actions/ lack of actions by others.

However, I do agree that the media hyped it up & caused more damage than it helped.  FoxNews & MSNBC alike, were "on the scene" making up stuff as they went, to keep those viewers glued to their channels & commercial $$$ rolling in.

I worked for Denso (a Japanese affiliate of Toyota) with many Japanese transplants.  While they are certainly bears at work - they are generally very kind & *honorable* folks on a personal level.  It does not surprise me AT ALL, that they reacted with much more class & integrity that we spoiled Americans would.  The only bad thing about the Japanese I have met are, they are about 200 years behind us, as far as women's rights.  They are some hard-working, honorable people, but sexist as alll get-out.

I have a feeling that after all is said & done, Japan will show how much more civil & classy of a society they are, than my beloved America is.  Sad to say, but true.

IMHO

• Member ID:  3233
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  334
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  2030
  • Birthday:  04/09/1967

we could learn alot from their culture --both of my foundation arts are based on japanese teachings , togakure rye ninjitsu and okinawan akido ---they believe that what one does reflects on not only everyone in their society but their family as well ---

yes it is true 90% or better of the kids there will complete a college education --why ? its expected of them from day one to better themselves and provide a decent life for their families ---mortgages  are 100 years here ---why ? honor code dictates the family will take care of it .

Can you still drop your wallet on the bus or in a public place and have it returned to you intact with all your info and cash in it ?

YES --an associate of mine did so last  night to prove the point , left his wallet on the bus ---those that bet against him lost $50 as it was returned to him with everything in it this morning at his hotel , hand delivered by the local police apparently a citizen had turned it in when they found it on the bus.

We bombed these people with our first nuclear bomb , killing thousands in the blink of an eye to stop them from destroying us in combat , yet they recovered and have chosen to teach there children not to hate us or the rest of the world that had to unite against them to beat them.

I am here now doing my part to assist in the recovery and helping our allies when they need it most ---they send money and manpower to every US Diesaster relief effort ---we could do no less then return the favor when they are in need.

My day yesterday consisted of locating and removing bodies from debris and transporting them with my team to be identified so the process could begin to notify loved ones of their loss--a difficult but necessary job .

Having worked search and rescue for several years since my departure from the marine corps. I cannot help but see the difference in this culture ---often things like this type of devastation brings out the worst in humanity ---people take advantage of others , settle scores , murder , steal etc... etc... Gah new orleans on our own soil was every man for themselves in the first weeks post hurricane katrina.(how do I know ? I spent 8 days in the superdome with my wife as we were some of the idiots that were gonna ride out that level 5 direct hit --national guard forced us to vacate our home and took us to the shelter -- I then had to "volunteer" for search and rescue-- only way I was allowed back into the city to get to my property and rescue my animals --dog and cat that we were forced to leave behind--- I will not even begin to recite some of the horrible acts I witnessed first hand americans hurting other americans --)

I have not seen or heard of any looting , rioting , people doing messed up shit to others --not that the opportunity is not there --its just not in them to bring dishonor or shame upon themselves and their families to engage in this type of behavior.

I could go on and on but need to get back to work , you get the point :P

PS: sorry for the typos --been going back and forth between japanese and english has caused my grammar to slide lol

SCooBY

• Member ID:  112
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1132
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Achievement Points:  6975
  • Birthday:  10/09/1960

There lack or sense of urgency with be the cause of the 3rd 4th 5th nuclear blast they are not getting it done

• Member ID:  213
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Achievement Points:  5644
  • Birthday:  06/06/1963

Most Inner City People here Suck, all nationalties, Mostly the Young ones suck, America is full of Spoiled Bitches.   Most places I have worked dont hire the shitheads anymore, they only Hire Asians, or older folks. If America had this shit happen, it would be a embarrassing event of Looting, rioting, blaming, and saying " Why did Bush do this to us"  Or its Obamas fault.. BS. ..at least... The Japanese are cool, They have some Character left. Some day Id like to Visit Japan. Wish them well in recovering.

• Member ID:  295
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  1535
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  8175
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

bush fault..after katrina ....BUSH FAULT !...just like everything is obamas fault...after he took over for who BUSH!...I HATE BUSH ...GOTTA HAVE IT SHAVED!  .... I SHOULD LOOP THAT KANYE WEST CLIP Laughing

• Member ID:  1818
  • Followers:  61
  • Topic Count:  140
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1041
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Achievement Points:  14304
  • Birthday:  06/12/1975

I wish Japan the best as well. I am pretty sure some of us have family members over there.... for those who are racist aginst them because of the past.... they need to grow up....

• Member ID:  698
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  1145
  • Achievement Points:  7232

Our prayers are with them as well, especially as radiation becomes a concern.  We have some friends in Hawaii, they watched the smaller waves as they hit there.  They felt blessed by the small amount of damage there.

Wow! Things are not getting better with regard to the nuclear facilities.

Is it time to start buying Potassium Iodide Tablets?

Were I in Hawaii or California I just might be thinking about it before they are all gone.

• Member ID:  1588
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  904
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5532
  • Birthday:  08/25/1966

What a horrible thing to happen-no one's at fault, but generations of families were swept away.That is hard to even fathom. The Japanese people are enduring with dignity and pride. We all are feeling it though, right down in our gut, for them- but the reality is- most of us in the U.S. don't have anything to give anymore BUT prayers.  The one thing  I know is my/our president can pick good basketball teams and hit the links every weekend, while I have been unemployed for a year, the first time in my life of 44 years, the housing market is at rock bottom....still,we have no future energy plans and the world is burning down around him....... He doesn't give a shit.

Awards

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  359
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2475
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Achievement Points:  16234
  • Birthday:  02/02/1966

well i feel sorry for them over there and they have held it in. butt in the end our goverments  always fucks the little

people like me and alot of others. with that said god bless them all but i am getting ready for the end of the world.

CryEmbarassedYell drinks on the old BudSR.

DSCF0225.jpg

• Member ID:  1588
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  904
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5532
  • Birthday:  08/25/1966

DAmn good thing they put Budweiser on the side, or I wouldn't have seen it!Laughing

P.S  BUD.... RUBY TUESDAY'S needs your debit card #Laughing

Awards

• Member ID:  46
  • Followers:  104
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  4316
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Achievement Points:  34774
  • Days Won:  11

First all I have to disagree with TBall....there is atleast 50 men risking their lives to try and help save 1000s.  And it looks like it is being done.   I admire these 50 people and all the people of Japan.

The scope of their problems is beyond my comprehension.

They are dealing with 3 catastrophic events at the same time, the earth quake, the tsunami and the nuclear crisis.

Any one of which is problems enough alone.

Regardless of anything in the past I truly wish them well.

My wife and I will be making a charitable donation but we have not as yet selected the charity.

Lots of scammers' out there who prey on the misfortune of others. We often usually prefer small direct action charities as opposed to something like the Red Cross.