Sign in to follow this  
RobMc

To all across the pond

3 hours ago, codpiece said:

Good one! If you're ever in the States you must come for dinner. I say that with the greatest respect of course. Bless your heart!

I can prove it again. In this song the little girl say, "Look Mommy there's no plain up in the sky"... and clearly there is a play up in the sky. ;)

7 hours ago, codpiece said:

@hxtr you must come for dinner if you are in Arizona. Bless your heart sir.

I prefer the old fashion way. Fuck You! hahhaaha

8 hours ago, RobMc said:

OMG, do you always return to contrails ???

hahahahahaha now say that in English. I could hardly understand you.

20 minutes ago, MikeB said:

And another "English" thing.   When you Brits sent all your convicts to Australia, how did "Blimey" become "Crikey" ?  

Good point, amazing how a language changes and gets warped over time and distance, no one nowadays says blimey. In fact the biggest influences in English come from America ( tv, films and music ) all our kids say things like cool and due to bloody windows spelling checker they are even misspelling like you, even on tv and official documents. Thanks to these things we will see the differences merge in the future, but not the accents. Aussies, Kiwis and some Others are probably more distant language wise than you and us, but still very British in their ways.

3 hours ago, codpiece said:

I notice that in England the term "chill" is used a lot. It has gone by the wayside in the U.S. for the most part.

Yes it is used with chill out and has replaced calm down almost entirely, what word is the current fashion ? If I use it now everyone will think I'm groovy (remember that one ?)

16 hours ago, codpiece said:

I notice that in England the term "chill" is used a lot. It has gone by the wayside in the U.S. for the most part.

12 hours ago, RobMc said:

Yes it is used with chill out and has replaced calm down almost entirely, what word is the current fashion ? If I use it now everyone will think I'm groovy (remember that one ?)

What about Boot verses Trunk? Got any Junk in your trunk? Got any Junk in your Boot? That don't work at all and is another example where language makes a difference to get context. Now get in the trunk or I'll will give you the boot out the car door.

1 hour ago, hxtr said:

What about Boot verses Trunk? Got any Junk in your trunk? Got any Junk in your Boot? That don't work at all and is another example where language makes a difference to get context. Now get in the trunk or I'll will give you the boot out the car door.

Well I'm getting used to some of your car terms watching Overhauling ( a terrible programme ) and Fantom Works ( a great programme, note not program ), what I've learnt :-

Spinners - discs

hood - bonnet

fender - wing

and the fact you can't spell tyres

plus I'm jealous as hell of the beautiful motors (engines) that you have, you would need to be very rich to run them in Europe, enjoy them while you can