Jump to content
RobMc

Food Snobbery and the media

Recommended Posts

OK, you may have seen my rant in the shoutbox after saying I'd had my first McDonalds in 18 months and it tasted delicious, only for some fckr to come up with the to be expected by now 'junk food', implying they knew better than to eat it. This has been a feature my entire lifetime, with foods going in and out of fashion, dependant on the 'expert' writing the article. I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in the UK the said food is 100% beef, 100% potatoes and is encapsulated in bread (which I have to discard due to gluten intolerance), but labelled junk food by the paper experts. Now exactly the same menu, considered fairly healthy eating, supplied by my local supermarket gives 98% beef, reconstituted potatoes and a choice of so called unhealthy breads. The point being that the food snobs would tell you the first was unhealthy and the second better for you.

Now I'm not saying that we don't eat too much, that is a different argument, what I'm saying is that if it tastes good in moderation it is good for you, your taste buds tell you that, food is food full stop. You can dissect the chemical breakdown all you like, and if you want to live your entire life in a self righteous miserable bubble so be it, but please don't tell me what to eat. The fact that you enjoy whatever you are eating shouldn't make you guilty it should make you happy, I list after this what the rations were in ww2 in the UK, count your blessings.

This is being accentuated by the present fashion in food shows where much to my amusement we are going backwards, one example being undercooked meat (i.e. pink lamb), now previous generations discovered the hard way the problems with undercooking, so lets learn it all again eh? Enjoy food, eat what you like but try to keep a variety in it, don't turn your noses up at very healthy foods such as liver and cabbage, but above all don't listen to the press, they have their own agenda, and it is usually sponsored.

 

Rationing began on 8th January 1940 when bacon, butter and sugar were rationed. By 1942 many other foodstuffs, including meat, milk, cheese, eggs and cooking fat were also ‘on the ration’.

This is a typical weekly food ration for an adult in ww2:

  • Bacon & Ham         4 oz 
  • Other meat            value of 1 shilling and 2 pence (equivalent to 2 chops)
  • Butter                      2 oz
  • Cheese                     2 oz
  • Margarine              4 oz
  • Cooking fat            4 oz
  • Milk                       3 pints
  • Sugar                    8 oz
  • Preserves            1 lb every 2 months
  • Tea                        2 oz
  • Eggs                     1 fresh egg (plus allowance of dried egg)
  • Sweets                  12 oz every 4 weeks
Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I see "junk food" is that you can have whatever you want to but only in moderation alongside other healthier foods.
I remember a good while ago a man did a show called "supersize me" where he had McDonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a month if I remember correctly.

Eat whatever you want, and if it makes you happy, go for it. Can't wait to have my next maccies when I get paid :lol:
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got home after a week of fishing. Salami & pepperjack on wheat sandwiches, washed down w/Founders IPA. Chili, grilled chicken, cowboy beans & pork chops on the grill. Margaritas every night over a campfire. Last night was Quesadillas & sweet potato fries @ the local Elks lodge, topped with butter pecan ice creme & cherry pie. Fish fry with bluegills & crappies this weekend, probably make Spanish rice with chicken broth & tomatoes on the side. Had a great time, good to be out w/the crew & the fish were biting.

Most of the (un)Holy experts don't know what a farm is, let alone where their food comes from. Doesn't stop them from lecturing. I just yawn, & carry on. I'm the one living this life, not you. I'm not responsible for you, and you certainly aren't responsible for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I 100% agree with you as I tuck into a Mcmuffin the lovely fiancé bought me 😊

I'm also going to add a different perspective being my own experience and my personal relationship with food, strap in cause this may well be a snowflake perspective.

 

So as you all can clearly see, I'm a big girl, pretty chunky. I'm incredibly aware of this and have had a.....complex relationship with food for the past few years. My GP has stated that a lot of my food based behaviours are thoses associated with eating disorders. I skip meals, I feel incredible guilt after eating, I even sometimes 'purge' (make myself sick after eating). I've become an incredibly picky eater. 9 times out of 10 I get 0 enjoyment from food because of the guilt and self loathing I feel afterwards. This happens regardless of the food, whether it's considered 'healthy' or 'junk food'.

So if that 1 in 10 chance I actually enjoy some chicky nuggies, don't then fucking shame me for it cause I'll be feelng that all day.

And I wanna bring up your point about the media because you're right, they do play a part in this, especially the whole 'diet culture' side of it and the obsession with weight loss. 

My point is that we shouldn't shame people for enjoying food whatever that food may be. It's a normal, healthy thing to feel and I honestly wished I felt it more. Just be thankful they're eating at all.

TLDR? Don't shame me for enjoying a Maccies cause guaranteed I already hate myself for it and probably have every intention of throwing it back up anyway.

Edited by Kitsune
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry about your eating disorder but it's getting very very common among young women and we all know why, because the perfect figure is the one created by the media, and promoted to men, so women must feel they need to be this way. Exactly the same as every created beauty since time began, bound feet, bones through lips, extended earlobes, whalebone corsets etc etc etc. women are wrongly made to feel inadequate about everything weight, figure, boobs, bum etc.

An eye opener to me was a school reunion years ago, think I've mentioned it before, all the girls we fancied back at school looked awful, and all the ones we never looked twice at were mostly stunning. The moral being that eventually you will be attractive no matter what, most men discover too late that a sense of humour, good nature and being a good mother are far far more important than beauty in a relationship.

I would say that being stunningly handsome with the body of a Greek God has held me back in life, if only I'd been ugly and fat,

 

Oh hold on?

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, PainKiller said:

The way I see "junk food" is that you can have whatever you want to but only in moderation alongside other healthier foods.
I remember a good while ago a man did a show called "supersize me" where he had McDonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a month if I remember correctly.

Eat whatever you want, and if it makes you happy, go for it. Can't wait to have my next maccies when I get paid :lol:
 

correct the guy at end of study had a nice set of love handles  LoL 

Super Size Me is a 2004 American documentary film directed by and starring Morgan Spurlock, an American independent filmmaker. Spurlock's film follows a 30-day period from February 1 to March 2, 2003, during which he ate only McDonald's food.died recently on the fourth day of his new movie in which he eats only Swanson Hungry Man food products.Mar. 28, 2021 RIP Morgan Spurlock

the salt content killed him ? for any thing frozen has large amounts of it  to preserve 

Morgan Spurlock: It's fortunate because that's rarely the case. Sadly, the reason we're so fortunate is because the business is so f---ed up. The movie is still relevant because consumers are still getting lied to. They are still getting manipulated by corporations. Farmers are still getting forced into lives of indentured servitude by giant chicken corporations. None of that has changed in two years. 

Edited by KaptCrunch
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob

Quote

I would say that being stunningly handsome with the body of a Greek God has held me back in life, if only I'd been ugly and fat,

cos you opt for the  high  maintenance model

if took the  the cheap low maintenance would be a richer happy man for them ugly ones will out do the high  maintenance model if you know what i mean ;) the pretty one will not gut and clean my fresh fish catch

Edited by KaptCrunch
beauty is within for good looks no pay the rent
Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, RobMc said:

Sorry about your eating disorder but it's getting very very common among young women and we all know why, because the perfect figure is the one created by the media, and promoted to men, so women must feel they need to be this way. Exactly the same as every created beauty since time began, bound feet, bones through lips, extended earlobes, whalebone corsets etc etc etc. women are wrongly made to feel inadequate about everything weight, figure, boobs, bum etc.

 

You're 1,000,000% right here, the media, especially social media, has conditioned us all to believe that we are less than if we so much as put in a pound. The social media 'influencers' promoting dangerous diet aids such as 'detox teas' that can and will fuck your liver and kidneys up but hey at least you'll be skinny (because you're severely dehydrated and malnourished) when you die so you'll need less people to carry your coffin.

You see it with men too, with male celebrities being mocked for exhibiting what's known as 'dad bod' (which in my opinion is more atteactive than washboard abs). It's not a female excusive issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds of me the scene in the movie 'Sleeper' where the future doctors were discussing how we in the unenlightened present thought bean sprouts were more healthy than deep fat and chocolate.

In any case. People arent stupid. Well, most people. They know fast food is unhealthy and always has been. Despite their own advertising campaigns that try and suggest they arent, mostly. Dont buy into their hype either. People also know that pre-prepared supermarket food isnt particularly healthy either. These %100 beef frozen patties have been overly processed and who knows what that beef is. They know those frozen mini tacos or pizzas arent healthy either. 'Organic' pizzas? Really?

Those food snobs do have a point. One is healthier than the other.... relatively speaking. But its like saying being pisssed on is better than being shit on. Literally. But I suppose it depends on whatever floats your boat. There are people that pay good money to be pissed on. We have even made up a term for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DEEJAYKEG said:

In my experience, McDonalds can't even make coffee without burning it.

As for their "food", my advice is to flush it straight down the toilet and cut out the middle man.

 

no won't need to do that

For after eating it,  your body just does that   LoL 

Eat at home will cut out the middlemen, at least know what your eatting.

 

Edited by KaptCrunch
listen to your body for hype 
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Timmah! said:

@KaptCrunch @TBB  When you guys gonna show something you prepare?  Doesn't have to be fancy.  Would be nice to see different people show a few pics now & then of what they like to make.

The only thing I make is Trader Joe's precooked chicken in the microwave - defrost frozen veggies in the microwave - make some pasta on Monday's for the week - girlfriend cooks for me on Friday - Sat - Sun  - maybe could show some of her stuff - food that is :rofl:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like all folks I try to eat healthy, with a mixed diet, but what is healthy? no one truly knows, what I was saying was that McDonalds in moderation is perfectly healthy, tastes great but is by no means my staple diet (first in 18 months?). Immediately the brainwashed junk food claim appeared, well it isn't in moderation, the point I was making was food snobbery. Here in the UK we have upmarket foods sellers such as Marks and Spencers who promote on tv their succulent dishes, they fly in beans from Kenya and Egypt to sell at a ridiculous price, probably less nutritious than the local greengrocer.

People with money truly believe that their vegetables/meat/fish is superior to anything found elsewhere, which is absolute bollocks. The only true way to eat naturally is to do what Weed n Feed does, and that is grow your own where you have complete control, anything else is delusional.

Timmah uses the best he can find for ingredients, not perfect but hey the best any normal shopper can do, none of us are poisoned by that are we ? His food not only looks tasty but probably is, yet critics line up to say too much salt, too much fat, etc etc if he enjoys it (and I would) that is all that counts.

McDonalds due to external pressures even by snowflake standards provide a decent balanced meal, but who gives a fuck if it tastes that good ? As a business model they seem to be ok despite the know all experts, long may they prosper.

TBB pressures on now

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RobMc said:

Like all folks I try to eat healthy, with a mixed diet, but what is healthy? no one truly knows, what I was saying was that McDonalds in moderation is perfectly healthy, tastes great but is by no means my staple diet (first in 18 months?). Immediately the brainwashed junk food claim appeared, well it isn't in moderation, the point I was making was food snobbery. Here in the UK we have upmarket foods sellers such as Marks and Spencers who promote on tv their succulent dishes, they fly in beans from Kenya and Egypt to sell at a ridiculous price, probably less nutritious than the local greengrocer.

People with money truly believe that their vegetables/meat/fish is superior to anything found elsewhere, which is absolute bollocks. The only true way to eat naturally is to do what Weed n Feed does, and that is grow your own where you have complete control, anything else is delusional.

Timmah uses the best he can find for ingredients, not perfect but hey the best any normal shopper can do, none of us are poisoned by that are we ? His food not only looks tasty but probably is, yet critics line up to say too much salt, too much fat, etc etc if he enjoys it (and I would) that is all that counts.

McDonalds due to external pressures even by snowflake standards provide a decent balanced meal, but who gives a fuck if it tastes that good ? As a business model they seem to be ok despite the know all experts, long may they prosper.

TBB pressures on now

Several of the McDonald's franchises around here are owned by a single family.  They have a card they give to delivery people & punch once for each delivery... get 10 punches, get a free meal.  I use one occasionally, but most I give away to first responders & people who look like they could use one.  I could eat for 2 months off what I've accumulated.  My favorite is usually the spicy chicken sammich/  buttermilk sammich combo with a sweet tea, usually:

20210424_230229[1].jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tim  

for me you will se a brunt  frying pan from passing out due to not enough sleep 

like thought i cook me a steak  coming off the second shilt and play a game while it cooks,

i  forgot about it till like what hell this map has more fog on it and then smoke detector went off, ran to kitchen to find  just the T of bone only left in frying pan,  was a stink of Auschwitz oven, had to use 0zone machine  to get hid of the smell.

So i'm good with P & J with garlic cloves  sandwiches or a bowl of ceral is my culinary skills. 

panburnt.thumb.jpg.6336a3ce266a8a97cc2b574ed409774e.jpg

as you see the pan is still dark after oven cleaner  doesn't remove the remains of my Steak, Pot at rear used to look like the pan 

 

Edited by KaptCrunch
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sammy said:

Any time I eat a fast food burger, from all the usual places. I tend to get sick to my stomach. So... I dont eat them. Sounds balanced to me.

if your getting sick,  help out a fellow eater!   time to call health department of that area you ate at to report salmonella food poisoning for they left out meat too long or used meat from day before. other no sanitation happening there. 

timmy's  was tasting  soap after drinking hot chocholet ...reported them and next visit  taste was gone, health officier said educated them on reinse practices  

Rob  guess you had a better resturant operator, i stop going to those  small  burger shops

for that reason.  my health is more important then shop owner wallet     

Edited by KaptCrunch
root of evil MONEY
Link to post
Share on other sites

Multiple locations and chains. And times. All the same. Of course that could be part of health problems. But its only the fast food joints that do it. Same types of items, at actual restaurants etc, but of course better quality (which you pay for) never do it. So as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Cheap prices means cheap food.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, KaptCrunch said:

if your getting sick,  help out a fellow eater!   time to call health department of that area you ate at to report salmonella food poisoning for they left out meat too long or used meat from day before. other no sanitation happening there. 

timmy's  was tasting  soap after drinking hot chocholet ...reported them and next visit  taste was gone, health officier said educated them on reinse practices  

Rob  guess you had a better resturant operator, i stop going to those  small  burger shops

for that reason.  my health is more important then shop owner wallet     

We have a rating system from 5 (good) to (0) very bad and probably closed down, where our public health regularly visits and inspects them, publishing the results on a website, here it is :-

https://www.grubbee.co.uk/region/northumberland

So all you do is check before using, works great, what is very interesting is seeing just how many posh places get low or very low ratings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rob  or see rush hour traffic of  eatery  will tell you something 

these  rating  systems  work when  health  officer is honest 

for been in places that the mice run wild at night 

as you say 5 star rating  extra mouse  droppings  flavour in the biskets.

  

Edited by KaptCrunch
was a month, biz was gone after reporting
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Public

Public

    You don't have permission to chat.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...

    Important Information

    We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.