Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Silverado 1500 vs. F150

GorillaXI

• Member ID:  62
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  73
  • Topic Count:  480
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4124
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Achievement Points:  27905
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  06/16/1972

Ok, so I'm in the market for a new truck here soon. I've been doing some research and have come down to 2 models. I'm looking at the Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab 5.3 liter V8 and the Ford F150 Super cab 5.0 V8. Both 2011 models. I know the Silverado has better gas mileage, safety ratings and price. So my question out there to the XI gear heads is what do you think?

My research has left me at a dead end. I like the style and looks of the both. But the interior of the Ford has more room. To me that isn't so important seeing as I don't have a family to worry about hauling around. Also I don't do much heavy hauling or trailering, so 5.3 vs. 5.0 isn't much of a difference. It's just nice to have the extra umph on the highway to pass morons. Both are Flexfuel trucks, so that is off the table.

My biggest question is reliability, seeing as I drive at least 100 miles a day to and from work. Do you think one is better then the other for maintaining and upkeep? What should the life expectancy be on either side?

I know everyone has a biased opinion on Ford vs. Chevy. I don't have a brand preference to one or the other. I've had both in the past and was pleased with both of them.

So any input for or against on what you think is a better value is appreciated. BTW, I'm in Texas so I will not be looking at the 4X4 option.

Thanks,

Gorilla

• Member ID:  1510
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  613
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  5333
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1987

Both brands are hit and miss. I had a 2002 ford that started to fall apart after four and a half years and I now have a 2008 GM product now that hasn't given me any problems. I would also take in to consideration that both brands have been struggling with making a quality product over the years, and I've heard that both Ford and GM have been building a more reliable product... Soooo I'd say go with your gut.

• Member ID:  800
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  152
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6947
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Achievement Points:  58252
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  05/29/1957
  • Device:  Windows

I have been a Chevy tech over 25 years so you know my choice !!!!

If you are going to pull/tow  anything you might look at the getting the 6.0

• Member ID:  220
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.17
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

My opinion is this.. do you want to buy from the government or from a free enterprise. I would get the Ford F150 Super cab 5.0 V8 as I know Ford has stepped up their game. But both are good trucks.

• Member ID:  1435
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  375
  • Birthday:  09/11/1964

I own a 95 ford ranger and it has 216k miles on it.  Havent had to do hardly anything to it exept for regular maint.  We also have a 65 mustang that has over 400k on it.  The mudstain is my wifes daily driver.  cant complain but i do hate working on FORD'S!

• Member ID:  839
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1334
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  7776
  • Birthday:  07/17/1958

Well everybody has their stories to tell. Either brand has their problems, you can get good or bad with either brand.

I have a 99 Chevy K250, 6.0 Liter engine. I also have a very large boat that I tow with it. Last year two guys were watching me pull the boat out of the water on a very steep boat ramp. One had a newer Ford and one had a newer Dodge and they both said that they wouldn't even attempt it in their trucks. I have literally pulled a dump trailer with 25,000 lbs of wet mud, up a hill. GVW was about 36,000 lbs.

I used it for ten years as a construction truck. It has about 170,000 miles on it and it still rides like a car. I have test drove Fords as well as I have owned Fords but I never had one that could even come close to my truck.

I know other people will tell you similar stories, but the opposite brands. It is hard to beleive that a Ford is more expensive. Ford advertises that they are number one for 30 years or whatever. But there are more Chevy's still on the road. Ford was number one because they have customarily been cheaper. GM paid back their government loan, so what if they needed help, most of us do once in awhile. I would also be cautious of buying a Ford for that same reason. They probably did like Dodge did back in the 80's, made a cheaper quality rig because they were low on money. Where as GM took the money so they didn't have to do that.

It is your choice, just go with your instincts. Weed through peoples stories and decide. I am just biased, because I have had extremely good luck with GM. 

• Member ID:  51
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  342
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5974
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Achievement Points:  45818
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/26/1949

My last five trucks have all been Chevy silverado 1500 4x4 Z71 extended or Crew Cabs...The last three have had the 5.3 liter engine...I have not had a minutes worth of trouble from any of them...I haul a 20' Bass Cat Boat and I have a 16' utility trailer that I haul with no problems...I have had fords in the past and never really had many problems with them with the exception of an 1988 Ranger 4x4 that the valves went to hell in about 30k...I should add that I trade every two to three years so I can't really speak to the long term reliability of either brand...SmileSmile

Awards

• Member ID:  69
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  227
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2660
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  22968
  • Days Won:  19
  • Birthday:  05/07/1965

What about a good old Citroen 2 cv ? 0.3 Liter...9 hp !!!! You will never tow or carry anything but you will never get a ticket for speeding ...that's just impossible !!!  

av_coul_.jpg

• Member ID:  103
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  698
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  3298
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  25682
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  07/10/1952

I just bought the 2011 GMC 1500 4x4 extended cab , my last one was a 2000 GMC 1500 4x4 . I don't even have 3000 miles yet I think the GMC s seats are more comfortable.

• Member ID:  62
  • Followers:  73
  • Topic Count:  480
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4124
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Achievement Points:  27905
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  06/16/1972

LOL...Olive you IdiotTongue out

• Member ID:  171
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  1487
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Achievement Points:  8690
  • Birthday:  05/05/1970

I'm personally a Chevy guy....but at work, they got the 2010 F150 about 6-7 months ago, and I get to drive it every once in a while, and I must admit....the Frickin Ford is more comfortable, and seems to have a bit more get-up-n-go than the 2011 Chevy 1500 a friend of mine has...(granted neither are 4WD)    but sittin in traffic the other day I seen a 2011 F150 4x4 with a little lift kit on it....it was a trippy off white color, with black rims and trim, and Daaammm...that truck looked nice as fuck!!! Cool

• Member ID:  716
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  892
  • Birthday:  09/07/1954

I dont like either but if push came to shove I would go to the Chevy.... personally I like dodge I have a 1500 quad cab ram 5.7 hemi v8. Had it 4 years and never missed a beat and its a good ride for long trips.

Bushape

Well everybody has their stories to tell. Either brand has their problems, you can get good or bad with either brand.

I have a 99 Chevy K250, 6.0 Liter engine. I also have a very large boat that I tow with it. Last year two guys were watching me pull the boat out of the water on a very steep boat ramp. One had a newer Ford and one had a newer Dodge and they both said that they wouldn't even attempt it in their trucks. I have literally pulled a dump trailer with 25,000 lbs of wet mud, up a hill. GVW was about 36,000 lbs.

I used it for ten years as a construction truck. It has about 170,000 miles on it and it still rides like a car. I have test drove Fords as well as I have owned Fords but I never had one that could even come close to my truck.

I know other people will tell you similar stories, but the opposite brands. It is hard to beleive that a Ford is more expensive. Ford advertises that they are number one for 30 years or whatever. But there are more Chevy's still on the road. Ford was number one because they have customarily been cheaper. GM paid back their government loan, so what if they needed help, most of us do once in awhile. I would also be cautious of buying a Ford for that same reason. They probably did like Dodge did back in the 80's, made a cheaper quality rig because they were low on money. Where as GM took the money so they didn't have to do that.

It is your choice, just go with your instincts. Weed through peoples stories and decide. I am just biased, because I have had extremely good luck with GM. 

Well said !!

• Member ID:  285
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  290
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  2204
  • Birthday:  11/04/1965

Everybody has their favorites and everybody has something to say.. But you can look at true sales stats.. Ford is the top automotive company right now..   The make the best products according to ratings, and.. they didn't take a huge bail out form the government.  They didnt simply walk away from $50B of debt they owed to companies all over and everyday people.  That does make a differnece in my book.  But the fact still remains Ford tis the top company right now with a quality product.  The F150 is the longest selling vehicle of all time 34 years.  The F series trucks have been around for 63 years.

Thanks Budman. Just because you sell a lot of trucks doesn't mean they are better, generally people buy what is cheaper and they get what they pay for. I would think for quality that it should mean how many trucks are still on the road, not how many sold.

What I hated about Ford's was their steering, I test drove a couple back in the 80's and even brand new they had 6" of play in the steering wheel. That was normal  for 20 years or so. I almost wrecked a couple of times when I had to borrow one, because they couldn't steer worth shit with a load on. Why would I like that no matter what brand they are.

I really can't say about the newer ones, I gave up on Ford's years ago. I would love to have the GMC Sierra with the fancy steering. That would be awesome.

I think that they all are over rated, price wise.

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  379
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  346
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  2721
  • Birthday:  12/05/1990

the new f150 in black is so nice i rented one once in florida so get that!

• Member ID:  207
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Achievement Points:  5015
  • Birthday:  01/18/1966

I got a 1996 ranger w 337 k on it when the odomiter quit! fucker keeps going. Lol

• Member ID:  34
  • Followers:  47
  • Topic Count:  182
  • Content Count:  2097
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  14880
  • Birthday:  04/29/1966

Ford tough baby!!!!!! Not to mention they took no stimulus money because of sales due to brand loyalty. I have had Fords my whole life and definitelyy stand behind my brand. They also look a helluva lot nicer on the road, if thats important. Come on tsw...post up the vid of the super chief again, thats the truck you need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't beleive this post came up again. Just go with your gut. This discussion is one that nobody will win.

Everybody has their favorites.

But I know for a fact if I was given a brand new Ford I would sell it and buy a real truck. I would put my 3/4 ton 99 Chevy againest any other brand of 3/4 ton truck. You show me a Ford or Dodge that can do 35,000 lbs gross weight, that is the truck, trailer and the weight of the load, and I will shut up about Chevy's. It can't be done.

• Member ID:  2119
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  461
  • Birthday:  09/11/1957

How do the warrantees compare? The details and fine print of both should also be considered, and the reputations of the service departments in case you do have a warranty issue.

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2388
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  76
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  453
  • Birthday:  02/03/1981

If you don't plan on towing anything, or really hauling anything, I would go with the chevy. For a work truck I would go with the Ford.

But drive them both a few times and see which one you like more.

• Member ID:  23
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1830
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Achievement Points:  16067
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  08/06/1960

Hey Gorilla get a hold of me and we will talk. I have been selling trucks here in the Northwest for 15+ years and have sold all 3 trucks new over that time. I won't steer you wrong buddy but don't believe spin like ford sells more because GM makes 2 trucks that are almost the same the Chevy and the GMC combined they sell more but they don't count it like that. The bailout money is OUR FUCKING MONEY so if GM fails we fail and lose our money so thats not a smart reason to make a buying decision. You can find a truck to fit just about any budget and need like towing or people capacity or comfort. All 3 hold their value pretty well to a point however an older Chevy will always fetch more money. I will give you loads of insider info my brother with no agenda hit me up man.

• Member ID:  1128
  • Followers:  78
  • Topic Count:  1197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6521
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Achievement Points:  63389
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  10/21/1954

GORILLA THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS THIS, YOU GET NO HELP FROM ANY OF US JUST PICK A NUMBER OUT OF THE AIR! LOL!!!

• Member ID:  809
  • Followers:  41
  • Topic Count:  251
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2835
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Achievement Points:  20374
  • Birthday:  06/25/1979

well I am driving a 2010 f150 v8.  the suspension doesnt seem to hold up to as much weight as the chevy but it will out pull the 350 any day of the week   I hate to say this as I am a chevy man