Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Where is the best place to live?

Bushape

• Member ID:  839
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1334
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  7776
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/17/1958

I haven't traveled much in my life. The furthest east I have been in Yellowstone. Seen Old Faithful three times on our 25th anniversary. The furthest south is the Redwoods in California. The furthest north is Vancouver BC. I can't go west very far, the land kind of disappears.

I know everybody has their preferences. I would like a place that doesn't freeze. But yet stays below 90 degrees. A place where there is no weather hazards, such as hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, or major snowstorms. And it obviously has to be in the US. I am a devoted patriot and wouldn't leave my country.

I heard of a valley or area in Spain, that only gets 20 or so inches of rain, the lows are around 50 and the highs are around 80. I have seen pictures and looks preety cool, if you would like to live like we did over 50 years ago. It is kind of secluded and primitive. I can't remember the name.

I guess we all have our own ideas. It is usually where ever you grew up and where your family is. My family and I have lived on the southern Oregon Coast and up here is SW Washington. Weather wise, I would say that Southern Oregon Coast would be better. It has a lot of scenery. But we do to. I see Mt. St. Helens and Mt Rainier almost every day. One place when I drive to town you can see Mt. Adams and the Olympic Mountains too, all in one spot. I only live 6 miles out of town back in the woods.

My brother is a pilot so one day we flew into the crater of Mt. St. Helens. I mean down in the crater, he had to bank pretty damn hard to get out. What a ride. Great pics. As I was looking out the window straight down because we were damn near at a 90 degree angle. What an awesome sight. I would have to scan them onto the computer to show them. That was back in 1981 and the next day it blew the dome out. We were in restricted airspace. But it was fun. We didn't tell my wife when we got back, we just went to work, scared the shit out of her. We used to drive into the red zone on the back roads and get some good pics.

So what do you fine people think? Got any ideas? 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  906
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  144
  • Topic Count:  515
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  17107
  • Content Per Day:  3.25
  • Achievement Points:  148744
  • Days Won:  678
  • Birthday:  11/30/1960
  • Device:  Windows

i would say come to Florida but we have to many things you dont want .hurricanes and it get over 90 here ..but it is the only place you can wake up to the sunrise .drive 3 hours and watch the sunset at night ..fish all year and to me i will never move from here .a storm is a storm and if it is your time to go then you are going .no matter where you live ..but i love it here ..

• Member ID:  51
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  342
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5974
  • Content Per Day:  1.11
  • Achievement Points:  45818
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/26/1949

The parameters that you described doesn't exist in this country...Not sure it does on the planet...If it did exist it would be so crowded that it would cost a million dollars an inch...SmileSmile

Awards

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1909
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Achievement Points:  11489
  • Birthday:  06/28/1975

Anywhere but the UK ..............

• Member ID:  20166
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7653
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Achievement Points:  53668
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946

Northeast Tennessee: No state income tax; four seasons but little snow; numerous lakes/camping areas; low property taxes; low crime rate; best schools in the state; relaxed environment; growing area which is part (half-hour away) of the number 1 retirement zone in the nation: Asheville, NC (but NC HAS a state income tax.) I targeted this area when I left NY State 25 years ago and have never regretted it.

• Member ID:  88
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3486
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Achievement Points:  22922
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1991

Norway...When its winter and you see the Mountains/Fjords then you know you have chosed the right place :D...btw im talking up north :P

On another plus note 

• Member ID:  213
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Achievement Points:  5645
  • Birthday:  06/06/1963

Well by You is a highly Rated Yakima Washington, this town is rated as a top place to retire by money magazine.

If you want lower crime and a wide variety of weather, and love freedom Black hills South dakota offers alot. I personally love Jackson Hole Wyoming... probably the most Gorgeous small town anywhere  with awesome people and Scenery.

But TSW is probably right Florida may be the best place for Weather   even though the traffic sucks, along with the economy there I would Retire there. I will be there hopefully in 15 years. I love Sarasota  If your Rich   WOW   Nice !!

If your not wealthy the Redneck areas in Florida are great  no snobs  low crime  less traffic and people and Trees!   you can hunt fish  shoot guns    Wheel, Golf   walk the beach. fish .    Just get away   at least an hour on the road from any big city   and you will find redneck nirvana, hey try Daytona if you like racing, then in the spring you can watch young College girls walk the beaches  ....

• Member ID:  1130
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  216
  • Content Count:  2267
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Achievement Points:  17291
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/02/1948

You got it right Sweatnbullets, Florida has it all just depending on what part you live in. If you don't like it as hot northern Florida is the place to go plus they have some rolling hills up there and some great horse farms.

• Member ID:  1128
  • Followers:  78
  • Topic Count:  1200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6529
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Achievement Points:  63453
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  10/21/1954

My roommate tells me that there is a place in California Lompock (pronounced-Lompoke) that has all the aforementioned criterion. Only about 70-80 degrees in the summer and nice all yr long and its a relatively small town.

• Member ID:  927
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  110
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  732
  • Birthday:  08/24/1956

What you describe is the state of HAwaii. Temp stays about 80-85, no tornados or hurricanes.

• Member ID:  906
  • Followers:  144
  • Topic Count:  515
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  17107
  • Content Per Day:  3.25
  • Achievement Points:  148744
  • Days Won:  678
  • Birthday:  11/30/1960

i think i would look again hawaii no hurricanes ... some thing dont sound right ..they call it the big blow ..and dont let the valcano blow up in your face .bush you getting out of the north .hope you find what you are looking for ..good luck

• Member ID:  27
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  307
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1712
  • Birthday:  06/03/1957

Well, my dear fiend Bushape...  I will NOT talk to you about the Caribbean Island I have the chance to live on, because we have hurricanes here (For martinique, the last real severe one was in 1978, before that 1963, we had an only Category 2 here with Dean a few years ago, and that's all until now....), but choosing a place to live depends not only on the scenery, but also (even more I'd say) on the people and on the general atmosphere you'd be looking for.

The places I really felt well:

1 - A small aera in the southern part of Holland - the eastern part of Belgium, including a small part of Germany : the Ardennes - lovely people - fine food & beers... - a VERY generous nature, with old European Forests, splendid villages

2 - With my bro in Quebec in Canada - the people correspond axactly to what I aim in life for: generous - multicultural - strong identity - and before all a strong aim for quality in (social) life, and a nature that's just perfect for me.....

3 - Some Islands (especially the hispnic ones), as well as some south american countries, for their beautiful and proud citizens (and women... yes I admit), with their sense of hapiness, partying and humour and in many cases a

But try not to forget that, even  when we have a splendid  blonde at our homes, we will always be dreaming about a red or black or brown women in our fantasies, when we are suffering from heat we will be dreaming about a fresh spring or autumn and so on.... 

Maybe we are not always aware of what we've got, and just don't see the luck we have to live in the place we do!

These were my 5 cents bro!

• Member ID:  1239
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  170
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1232
  • Birthday:  10/05/1972

Yorkshire or possibly the Lake District, both in the North of England are great places to live. Beautiful all year round with little or no crime make these places my favourite places in the world. I live in West Yorkshire about 30 miles from Manchester and Leeds and its quiet, clean and I wish I moved here earlier.

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.29
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Achievement Points:  131490
  • Days Won:  116

Buttman thats funny, you say no crime and tell us you live near Leeds and Manchester, everybody's at it in this countryUndecided

• Member ID:  2165
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  198

HAve u guys ever been in styria? In my opinion it's one of the most beautiful districts in austria - we got a lot of snow in winter, warm summers and the best beer Wink Styria calles itself: "The green heart of austria" and thats exactly what it is like. Large and old forests, small lakes, wonderful montains in the north and smaller hills in the south.

South-Styria

I haven't been to a lot of other countries but the ones I've already seen weren't as beatiful as styria.

But that's just my opinion, maybe u guys can change my way of thinking about my favourite place to live Laughing 

• Member ID:  1238
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6083
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Achievement Points:  50727
  • Days Won:  11
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

Some very wise words from Graffitti above.  (But he lives in Paradise already! Smile )

Bush', it looks as if you view the question from a climatic perspective primarily?  We English discuss the weather a lot - it is a national hobby - but, for all our moans about the frequent rain, it is what makes this a green and pleasant land.

As I approached retirement, we considered moving west to Cornwall as we love the rural beauty, dramatic Atlantic coastlines and the people too.  But reality kicked in and we looked at the poor transport links and the fact that the nearest major hospital was over 30 miles away.  When you're young, such things don't feature in the decision-making but, as one ages, they become more important.

Another consideration is where ones family is - would one leave them behind in the search for "Nirvana"?

Brits tend to look at places like Canada and New Zealand with admiration (which is why we colonised them in the first place, I guess!) but then cold temperatures and earthquakes respectively have to be considered.  Having had two local quakes here in recent years, one could say we aren't missing out... Wink

• Member ID:  34
  • Followers:  47
  • Topic Count:  182
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2097
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  14880
  • Birthday:  04/29/1966

hawaii is a bad call simply for the cost of living, unless thats not an issue. The chances for hurricane are pretty slim. The last one that made landfall was Iniki back in 92. Tsunami's are a concern, but the last one to hit with impact was on the big island in Hilo back in, i think 58 or something, i cant remember. The summer weather is kind of a bitch in Hawaii, When the wind comes up off the equator (Kona winds they call it) it's dreadful. 95+ heat and all the humidity you can stand. Other than that, Hawaii is awesome...except for the traffic if you live on Oahu. Honolulu is a city of over 1 million people crammed into some small space.5  lanes coming in and going out on the western side...3 lanes coming and going on the east. And the Pali highway coming from Kailua-Kaneohe side.

I've lived in 7 states as an adult and the best place for my money is Grants Pass Oregon.900 ft above sea level and completely enclosed by mountains. Low cost of living. Great weather with four seasons. Mild winters, decent summers, low population commensurate with low crime, an hour plus from the beautiful Oregon coast (Brookings, Crescent city. An hour and 1/2 from skiing in the winter at Mt ashland..or cross country skiing at beautiful Crater lake and Union creek. The rogue river that runs right through the center has great fishing and white water rafting. When we left Hawaii when i was a kid, we settled there and I went to school and graduated there. If i had my choice to settle and do not much of nuthin at my convenience, that's where i might wind up...but i just bought my home here in Northwest Alabama, so i'm stuck for awhile, and you wouldnt like the weather here.Yell

Since you lived down the Oregon coast, you might have already been through Grants Pass Bushape. I, personally , always liked Astoria. Absolutely gorgeous up there!!! (for those who dont know, that is where they filmed the movie "the Goonies")

• Member ID:  716
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  892
  • Birthday:  09/07/1954

I would recommend hiding if you dont want to leave the states....if you change your mind though, try New Zealand.

• Member ID:  1588
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  904
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5532
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/25/1966

th_082-Copy.jpgTHIS IS WHERE I LIVE IN COLORADO

Awards

• Member ID:  177
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1669
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Achievement Points:  10581
  • Birthday:  05/08/1961
  • Device:  iPhone

Anywhere but South East Michigan (Detroit area)

I worked for a company that was based out of Charlotte, NC and really liked it there. They wanted me to relocate but I couldn't at the time

Overseas, I have to say the Black Forest area of Germany. For that same company I spent about 3 months a year over there (about 1 hour north of Zurich, Switzerland) and I loved it. Scenery was great. Mountains only a short drive. In the winter you could drive to Feldberg for some skiing. In the summer go down to the Lake of Konstanz and hang out

I would never go back to the UK (sorry guys, I still love it, it is my country) The place is just too messed up, which is why I left back in the late 80's. My brother still lives over there but he is moving to Holland this summer and will never go back

Thank everybody for your viewpoints. I guess I worded the topic wrong. I don't plan on moving. I was just mentioning my personal preferences. And wondering what everybody thought of their 'perfect' place to live.

I agree with you totally Billy, I use to live in the Coquille area on the Oregon Coast. Which isn't far off of what my criteria is. Grants Pass, although a beautiful area gets some pretty good dry heat spells. Crater Lake is so beautiful we went there three times in one month. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive. And you also have Oregon Caves.

And the Oregon Coast has totally awesome scenery. Grants Pass is like you say, a beautiful central location.

Styria looks real similar to where I live now. Beautiful and green in the spring and summer.

Graffitti, you brought up some really great ideas about beautiful locations. They sound totally awesome. Thank you.

My brother lives in Hawaii 2 months of the year. He keeps getting married to more wealthy women. The one he is married to now owns a whole block of business buildings in downtown Olympia, WA, our capitol. She has a condo that she uses for two months in Hawaii. He just got back a week ago. He uses them as long as he can or until they get tired of him using their money. He lives in a house that has a pool and over looks the bay. He has two airplanes, one seats 8 people. He has his own hangar at the Olympia airport. He used my name because I was a licensed contractor in order to build the hangar and I didn't get shit for it, not even a thank you. Hell I had to sign the papers and permits, and put my reputation and life on the line. Somehow he manipulates people. It is like thanks for bending me over with a smile on your face. Then it is WTF.

The place in CA sounds pretty cool. Thanks, I will google it.

Harry that sounds pretty cool. My son moved to NW Arkansas, he likes it there. I don't know much about the weather.

I guess we all have our ideas of paradise. And you are right Blackbart, There is no place on earth that would describe my parameters. I just wanted some ideas on what everybody else thought.

We all have our own ideas and we will have to put up with the bad in order to enjoy the good. Also I am on oxygen and I can't afford a portable oxygen concentrator, so my travel is very limited until I can get one. Maybe someday.

Thank you very much to my friends and clan members. That was interesting.

• Member ID:  3214
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2362
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Achievement Points:  14004
  • Birthday:  06/23/1981

i prefere to live in the small town called >xi< population 483 :)

That is the best one yet. To hell with the world. XI rules.

• Member ID:  2083
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Content Count:  3554
  • Content Per Day:  0.73
  • Achievement Points:  23761
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  10/20/1962

WolfTiS

You got it right Sweatnbullets, Florida has it all just depending on what part you live in. If you don't like it as hot northern Florida is the place to go plus they have some rolling hills up there and some great horse farms.

UP there Wolftis? Are you a South Fl. boy? lolz

Florida? well I'm born and raised here, and other than the Panhandle beaches, the Keys & beautiful women on the beach, FLORIDA SUX! When my daughter is grown up I'll be leaving this flat land. N.W. Fl. has a few rolling hills if thats what you want to call them, I mean come on the highest point here is like 21 feet above sea level and thats truly only in 1 spot in the state, I believe thats Crestview Fl. along the I-10 interstate.

I say anywhere either in or very close to the mountains from N.Ga. to Tenn. I don't want the snow so I won't go any higher that! I have a sister that owns a ranch in Trout Creek Montana shes always trying to get to move there, its Beautiful but the freaking snow, NO WAY lmao! 

• Member ID:  110
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  284
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1698
  • Birthday:  11/07/1975

The best place to live.......the bottom of a bottle.  Laughing