Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Texting anyone? True story

Joe Canadian

• Member ID:  822
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  87
  • Topic Count:  317
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5477
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Achievement Points:  42632
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  20
  • Birthday:  03/01/1967
  • Device:  Windows

I was on my way to work on Friday when I saw this SUV in a ditch on theside of the hwy. I pulled over and went to check.  The doors were lockedand the windows rolled all the way up, but there was somebody inside, a 24year old chick looking desperately for something. I knocked on the glass andshe reluctantly opened the door and came out. She was ok, just really shaky andupset because I rusher her out and she couldn’t find her iPhone.

Turns out that she was alone and driving her boyfriend’s car. They were chattingand breaking up over the phone when she lost control of the vehicle. She wasreally lucky, it could’ve been a lot worse. Not sure if she will get a ticketfor texting while driving, hopefully she will. It’s not allowed to use anymobile device while driving in Vancouver; it’s actually a new law.

The picture is not that great, i took it with my cell phone.

Cheers

Joe

IMG00714-20111028-1208.jpg

• Member ID:  96
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  107
  • Topic Count:  1048
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  8812
  • Content Per Day:  1.64
  • Achievement Points:  62176
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/30/1954

You should of took her phone away from her and took the picture. She probably had a better one. LOL

They  should make that a law all through the states. This is just stupid. Too many people dieing over these phones.

• Member ID:  2068
  • Group:  +++ COD5 Head Admin
  • Followers:  69
  • Topic Count:  1076
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  8451
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Achievement Points:  75104
  • Days Won:  64
  • Birthday:  05/23/1973

It is amazing how often accidents like this occur now because of either talking or texting.  Will be like many things, people will not learn until the end.

Good post Joe.

• Member ID:  390
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  4251
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Achievement Points:  35625
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  05/08/1959

Gotta love text n roll! There coming out with a jamming devise to put in cars so the cell or whatever wont work! Well over due but will add to the sticker price! Money well spent!

• Member ID:  177
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1669
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Achievement Points:  10581
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/08/1961
  • Device:  iPhone

It is illegal to use a hand held device in Ontario now. I drive through there all the time to go to upstate NY from Detroit (saves me around 2 hours). I was told they are really cracking down on it too. 

It is illegal to text and drive in MI, but not to use a hand-held device. After watching people veering all over the road and running off the road just because they can't talk and drive (wow) makes me want that law to be enforced here.

I spent $50 on a bluetooth ear device - one of the best 50s I ever spent (even got mt company to reimburse me because people would always call me on the way through Canada.

I am pretty sure I do OK talking while driving but its obvious there are a lot of people who simply cannot do both and they are a danger to everyone

This YouTube video is really disturbing but I urge anyone to watch it if they don't understand the perils of texting while driving

I know it is a "staged" accident with actors but it is based on a true story and hopefully is graphic enough to get people's attention on this matter

It is, after all, a metter of life and death, literally

Good post Joe

• Member ID:  174
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  129
  • Topic Count:  387
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  14888
  • Content Per Day:  2.77
  • Achievement Points:  91105
  • Days Won:  52
  • Birthday:  04/23/1970

It's the same thing here in Calgary, Alberta Nick.. It's called the "Distracted Drivers Law".. And personally I'm all for it. They say a person thats texting while driving is just as distracted as if they were impaired.

And great post Joe..

• Member ID:  222
  • Followers:  88
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Content Count:  3846
  • Content Per Day:  0.72
  • Achievement Points:  25628
  • Birthday:  02/05/1968

PimpedOutPete
It's the same thing here in Calgary, Alberta Nick.. It's called the "Distracted Drivers Law".. And personally I'm all for it. They say a person thats texting while driving is just as distracted as if they were impaired.

I wish they would do more in the States about this.  The only laws that we have where I live, in Texas, is that you cannot be on your cellphone in a school zone.  They have done studies that show it is more dangerous to text while driving than it is to drive while intoxicated.  Why the hell don't we have more laws making it illegal?  This is a pet peeve of mine.  I drive a lot for work and nearly every time I come up on someone that is driving too slow for conditions or drifting out of their lane, they are looking at their phones or talking on the phone. 

• Member ID:  46
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  104
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4316
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Achievement Points:  34774
  • Days Won:  11

I do alot of driving also and I see this way too much.  I have seen many wrecks and a few toooooooo many teens killed because of texting and driving.  I hate it...cant stand it.  I feel the pain of it too much....my mom thank God had her angel watchin over her cause I could have easily lost my mom due to a lady texting while driving and went thru a red light and hit one car and still managed to hit my mom drivers side at the speed of around 50.  My mom was in a huge pick up truck and it knocked the truck so far off its track...it was unbelievable.  The only wreck ive ever had was due to a guy who dropped his phone and was bent down tryin to get it and never saw me stopped and that was a really bad wreck...sent me to the hospital and if it wouldnt have been for my gas tank and the spare tire in the under carriage, he would have probably been dead.  Cop told us that.  I was in a '07 Trailblazer and he was in a lil honda civic.  More laws!!!

• Member ID:  220
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.15
  • Achievement Points:  129714
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

yea it's a bad thing to text and drive and I cant convince my daughter of this. fucking kids!!! 

I dont mind hands free units for conversations or even the voice to text messages. But having to dial, text, facebook, playing with aps and other... they should make it a law. It is just not safe. Hate to infringe on our rights but...........  I see it all the time.

We have created a dependency with these cell phones. A constant need to be in contact. I hate texting anyway.. I dont like that constant instant communication. Send me a fucking PM. 

my daughter can text without looking but parts she has to look. I still dont approve and she knows it. I dont even want her to talk on her phone. Kids think they are invincible... i remember those days. Oh she is 2200 miles away so I cant stop shit. 

I do a lot of driving as well. I have seen distracted people gettinginto bad accidents way too often. The saddest and scariest one was a womandriving her minivan with 4 children inside, including a baby, chatting on herphone, going through a red light, crossing a highway and getting hit by asemi-trailer doing at least 100kph. It was horrible, I didn’t actually see theaccident happen, but heard the whole thing as I was about 100-200 ft.away. The mini-van got destroyed, pretty much sliced in two and everybodyinside died.

Bluetooth is great, but tends to distract me, so I don’t useit. I prefer not to even look at the phone while I  drive.

Cheers

Joe

• Member ID:  37
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  70
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/10/1964

While I would fully agree that texting while driving is extremely dangerous and should be banned, I have never understood the argument that cell phone use should be banned completely. Talking on the phone, either with a bluetooth device or by using the handset is, to my mind, no more distracting than talking to a passenger in the car. I would say that the vast majority of the people that I have driven with are often driving with only one hand on the steering wheel, so the argument of having to hold the phone with one hand doesn't work for me. Also, the people that say that talking on the phone splits the concentration of the driver is no more valid than if that same driver is talking to their passengers. Most people I know can't bring themselves to talk to someone in person without looking at them, so I would rather have them talking on the phone, driving with one hand, and looking forward, not looking away from the road toward the passenger or in the rear view mirror. I would prefer that the government(s) not over legislate any issue, and in my opinion the ban on texting should be the only one that is used in regards to the cell phones.

But hey, that's just me.

• Member ID:  69
  • Followers:  50
  • Topic Count:  227
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2660
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  22969
  • Days Won:  19
  • Birthday:  05/07/1965

Good post.When driving around Michigan lake last summer (before XI fest) i saw so many drivers more concerned by their phone than driving...hard to understand has in my country any use of the phone when driving is illegal...I was thinking...why are they so strict on speed limits ( a lot more strict than in europe) if in the same time they allow people to use their phone when driving ?

hxtr

yea it's a bad thing to text and drive and I cant convince my daughter of this. fucking kids!!! 

I dont mind hands free units for conversations or even the voice to text messages. But having to dial, text, facebook, playing with aps and other... they should make it a law. It is just not safe. Hate to infringe on our rights but...........  I see it all the time.

Have you heard the sayings "the right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins" or "your rights end where mine begin"? I am all for rights and freedoms but if cell phone use is getting people killed... should be banned

• Member ID:  51
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  342
  • Content Count:  5974
  • Content Per Day:  1.11
  • Achievement Points:  45818
  • Birthday:  06/26/1949

Driving is a privilege not a right so the laws pertaining to the safe operation of a vehicle does not infringe on your rights...I agree hands free voice is ok but the rest is nothing but a distraction and should be illegal...SmileSmile

Awards

Croaker

While I would fully agree that texting while driving is extremely dangerous and should be banned, I have never understood the argument that cell phone use should be banned completely. Talking on the phone, either with a bluetooth device or by using the handset is, to my mind, no more distracting than talking to a passenger in the car. I would say that the vast majority of the people that I have driven with are often driving with only one hand on the steering wheel, so the argument of having to hold the phone with one hand doesn't work for me. Also, the people that say that talking on the phone splits the concentration of the driver is no more valid than if that same driver is talking to their passengers. Most people I know can't bring themselves to talk to someone in person without looking at them, so I would rather have them talking on the phone, driving with one hand, and looking forward, not looking away from the road toward the passenger or in the rear view mirror. I would prefer that the government(s) not over legislate any issue, and in my opinion the ban on texting should be the only one that is used in regards to the cell phones.

But hey, that's just me.

I guess the problem is that to text and drive you need to hold the phone with one hand but use both thumbs to type,  (at least on a Blackberry), plus hold the streering wheel and look at the road. Multitasking is ok, most people do fine multitasking, but you can't be 100% concentrated in all the activities you are doing simultaneously...

• Member ID:  62
  • Followers:  73
  • Topic Count:  480
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4124
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Achievement Points:  27905
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  06/16/1972

PigDog
PimpedOutPete

I wish they would do more in the States about this.  The only laws that we have where I live, in Texas, is that you cannot be on your cellphone in a school zone.  They have done studies that show it is more dangerous to text while driving than it is to drive while intoxicated.  Why the hell don't we have more laws making it illegal?  This is a pet peeve of mine.  I drive a lot for work and nearly every time I come up on someone that is driving too slow for conditions or drifting out of their lane, they are looking at their phones or talking on the phone. 

Dito PD.

I hate driving in Dallas cause of all the morons talking or texting while driving. I usually don't even answer my phone while I'm driving unless I know I need to talk the call.

Blackbart
Driving is a privilege not a right so the laws pertaining to the safe operation of a vehicle does not infringe on your rights...I agree hands free voice is ok but the rest is nothing but a distraction and should be illegal...SmileSmile

I agree Bart.. I dont think of this as an infridgement...

• Member ID:  2671
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  152
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1027
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1970

2_MANY_BEERS

You should of took her phone away from her and took the picture. She probably had a better one. LOL

They  should make that a law all through the states. This is just stupid. Too many people dieing over these phones.

I know i was just watching Extreme Makeover today when they built a house for a family who had lost a daughter and set up their own charity called RAB remember alice Brown

Joe Canadian
hxtr

Have you heard the sayings "the right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins" or "your rights end where mine begin"? I am all for rights and freedoms but if cell phone use is getting people killed... should be banned

I agree.......... i wish they were never invented. I am going to send this post to my daughter. I am mad at her now and hope she can will listen. But she is hard headed like her dad.. whoever that is. :)

• Member ID:  1818
  • Followers:  61
  • Topic Count:  140
  • Content Count:  1041
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Achievement Points:  14304
  • Birthday:  06/12/1975

texting and driving is illegal here even holding the cell phone and driving to talk on the phone is illegal here in colorado.... they made it the law here as well as in Calif.

They have devices where you can "blue tooth" your phone to and tell it to "call ______" and you can have both hands on the wheel and be all eyes on the road n etc. those are legal and suggested by the law.

hxtr
Joe Canadian
hxtr

I agree.......... i wish they were never invented. I am going to send this post to my daughter. I am mad at her now and hope she can will listen. But she is hard headed like her dad.. whoever that is. :)

Well Hx, you try your best and with a little hope u pray they make it home every night...

• Member ID:  2083
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3554
  • Content Per Day:  0.73
  • Achievement Points:  23761
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  10/20/1962

lol don't chew gum and walk at the same time......I know some people like that hahahaha

• Member ID:  177
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Content Count:  1669
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Achievement Points:  10581
  • Birthday:  05/08/1961

PimpedOutPete
hxtr
Joe Canadian
hxtr

Well Hx, you try your best and with a little hope u pray they make it home every night...

I never thought I would say it, but I wish we would take on European laws when it comes to distracted driving. There are simply too many people who cannot talk and drive at the same time. And texting while driving is simply wrong - even I don't do that and I consider myself a good driver.

http://handsfreeinfo.com/european-cell-phone-texting-roundup

NickTheGrip
PimpedOutPete
hxtr
Joe Canadian
hxtr

http://handsfreeinfo.com/european-cell-phone-texting-roundup

^^^^^^^ One thing I will say about german drivers as have lived there....... yes they love to drive fast.......... but at times they refuse to slow down. They respect the zipper rule which is cool..... one car merge and one form other side merge..... but in the 80's i heard of three 80 car pileups because they would not slow down in the fog. Heard of many others just less, 60,30 other. And germany can have some serious fog. Add cell phone to the mix that did not exist when I was there.......... pure "Disaster". They are very good drivers.. i wont deny that... but very aggressive drivers but not compare to paris france and even more in other places I have not experienced. France does not have the bad ass roads like in germany but they get real close. Speed kills... cell phones kill and kills culture. (kids) sorry had to say that last.

No doubt we all can be neglect. Add a cell phone.. no wonder europe is adopting this.

Here in Texas.. we drive 128km but less in certain hwy areas..  but i drive 185 in my POS corolla at times... 115mph. We have the roads to do it in many States like Texas but even faster. I drove 236km from San Antonio to Houston but 130mph was a better speed in that car. Diving 120mph was like driving 80 in my car. :)