Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

When I was a Kid

Shamu

• Member ID:  715
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  418
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2178
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Achievement Points:  16606
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/04/1943
  • Device:  Windows

From my Daughter............... and so true.

1) When Iwas a kid we didn't have the Internet.  If we wanted to know something, wehad to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!  

2) There was no email!!  We had to actually write somebody a letter - witha pen!  Then you had to walk all the way across the streetand put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents! 

3) Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us.  As amatter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick ourass! Nowhere was safe! 

4) There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes!  If you wanted to stealmusic, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself! 

5) Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ wouldusually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!  There were no CDplayers!  We had tape decks in our car.  We'd play our favorite tapeand "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undonerendering it useless.  Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby!  Dig? 

6) We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting!  If you were on the phoneand somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it! 

7) There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, youjust didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out oftouch with your "friends". OH MYGOSH !!!  Think of the horror...not being in touch with someone 24/7!!!  And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right.  Please!  You kids have no idea how annoying you are. 

8) And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had noidea who it was!  It could be your school, your parents, your boss, yourbookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister! 

9) We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games withhigh-resolution 3-D graphics!  We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'.  Your screen guy was alittle square!  You actually had to use your imagination!!!  Andthere were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen.. Forever! And you could never win.  The game just kept getting harder and harder andfaster and faster until you died!  Just like LIFE! 

10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! Youwere screwed when it came to channel surfing!  You had to get off your assand walk over to the TV to change the channel!!!  NO REMOTES!!!  Oh,no, what's the world coming to?!?!

11) There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons onSaturday Morning.  Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEKfor cartoons, you spoiledlittle rat-bastards!

12) And we didn't have microwaves.  If we wanted to heat something up, wehad to use the stove!  Imagine that!   

13) And our parents toldus to stay outside and play... all day long.  Oh, no, no electronics tosoothe and comfort.  And if you came back inside... you were doing chores! 

14) And car seats - oh,please!  Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on.  If you werelucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last momentif she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that wasyour fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!  

• Member ID:  1142
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  747
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/21/1964

and there was no XI!!!!  Clearly I had a very disadvantaged childhood as you can tell....

• Member ID:  1850
  • Followers:  98
  • Topic Count:  328
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8620
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Achievement Points:  55994
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/19/1948

OH do I remember those days. I wish some of that was still allowed. Maybe our streets and homes would be just a little bit safer.

• Member ID:  1684
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2142
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Achievement Points:  13749
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  11/16/1971

have a slinky  lol   Cool

• Member ID:  20166
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  611
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  7653
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Achievement Points:  53668
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/16/1946

I remember the ice man dropping off a block for the, uh, "icebox," shaking quart bottles of milk to get the cream off the top, the steam locomotive, the rag man who came by with a wagon pulled by a horse, mixing our own Cokes with the syrup you would buy rather than bottled soft drink, and buying potatoes by the "peck" at the corner grocery. 

• Member ID:  51
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  342
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5974
  • Content Per Day:  1.11
  • Achievement Points:  45818
  • Birthday:  06/26/1949

SgtHarryWeezer
I remember the ice man dropping off a block for the, uh, "icebox," shaking quart bottles of milk to get the cream off the top, the steam locomotive, the rag man who came by with a wagon pulled by a horse, mixing our own Cokes with the syrup you would buy rather than bottled soft drink, and buying potatoes by the "peck" at the corner grocery. 

Now your talkin Harry, and listening to the Lone Ranger, The Shadow, and Superman on the radio (which was the size of a small refrigerator)...SmileSmile

Awards

• Member ID:  77
  • Followers:  111
  • Topic Count:  1018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7527
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Achievement Points:  69486
  • Days Won:  47

Hey I was there count me in.My milk man delivered milk with a horse drawn cart.The horse shit on the street and that is where it stayed until someone who owned an automobile ran over it.Not many people owened cars in the early 50's.And you are right we played all day just had to get home by the time the street lights went on.Oh we heated our house with coal for a while then with oil that went in the octopus furnace that heated radiators.No forced air furnaces back then.

• Member ID:  1238
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  6083
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Achievement Points:  50727
  • Days Won:  11
  • Device:  Kindle Fire

And the test card on TV before programmes began...  Yes, no satellite, no cable and no 24-hour TV!

Test_card.gif

• Member ID:  2083
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3554
  • Content Per Day:  0.73
  • Achievement Points:  23761
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  10/20/1962

SgtHarryWeezer

damn our an old fucking idiot aren't you....hahahaha

those comments made me feel damn good I tell you.....LOLZ

or your a UK'r because those things haven't happen here in the U.S. since the 60's either way now I don't feel so old after a hard days work...HAHAHA

• Member ID:  2083
  • Followers:  42
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Content Count:  3554
  • Content Per Day:  0.73
  • Achievement Points:  23761
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  10/20/1962

ah yes 8track tape players, vinyl albums, 5cent cokes 6 1/2 oz out of a pull out slot machine which also had 10 oz orange and grape crush in them and they were glass bottles not freaking plastic, which were reserverd for late night drive by toss at the stop & speed limit  signs kinda deal, drive in theaters. Oh shit weren't those GREAT TIMES! OMG and crank calling was the shit! Wow memory lane...

• Member ID:  906
  • Followers:  144
  • Topic Count:  516
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  17116
  • Content Per Day:  3.25
  • Achievement Points:  148837
  • Days Won:  680
  • Birthday:  11/30/1960

THE GOOD OLD DAYS ..AND THE ORANGE CRUSH THAT WAS THE SHIT BACK WHEN I WAS A KID .you could go to the store with 50 cents and get all the candy you could eat .pop was 10 cents rufund on the glass bottles was 2 cents .and you could not spend the whole 50 cents .it would last 2 or 3 weeks ..but the store was 3 miles away .and the store was the post office// gas station ..penny candy ..that was the GOOD OLD DAYSCool

The geezer club for sure:

I was amused by item 10 wherein you used a TV Guide back then. We didn't. We didn't need one - only got one channel, which was WCNY, channel 7 out of Watertown, NY. And we didn't get our first TV until I was 12.

I fondly remember Circle 7 Ranch, which was a local cowboy type introduding the cowboy movies, followed by the Howdy Doody Hour. And yes, The Shadow was my favorite radio show. How about the wringer washing machine? At least three of my siblings got their hand/arm caught in that sucker. And hanging clothes on the clothesline and then jacking it up with a long pole. Or my mother taking a week's worth of dirty cloth diapers and wringing the shit out of them on her hands and knees in front of the only toilet in the house. Oh my god, the smell. If the bathroom was busy, you went outside and found a bush. 

For heat, we had a coal furnace with one large register. It would get so hot in the winter that we'd open the windows in the upstairs bedrooms and often wake up to a foot of snow inside the bedroom. There were flies everywhere (12 siblings in my family) so no keeping them out; with those hanging fly catchers in every room.  We got 25 cents allowance - you could either go to the movie for 20 cents with 5 cents for popcorn, or, to the store and with that quarter buy a soft drink, comic book, candy bar and a shitload of Bazooka bubble gum. The good ole days indeed...

• Member ID:  51
  • Followers:  51
  • Topic Count:  342
  • Content Count:  5974
  • Content Per Day:  1.11
  • Achievement Points:  45818
  • Birthday:  06/26/1949

"What evil lurks in the heart of man?"..."THE SHADOW KNOWS"...SmileSmile

Awards

• Member ID:  989
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  270
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  18244
  • Content Per Day:  3.47
  • Achievement Points:  133685
  • Days Won:  270
  • Birthday:  01/27/1946

To make a call you had to put your finger in the correct numbered holes and spin it.

• Member ID:  2048
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

great list,kids are so spoiled and have no clue

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  359
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2475
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Achievement Points:  16234
  • Birthday:  02/02/1966

when i was a kid oh HELL I STILL AM 1. Wink these were the coolest toys out and all the cool kids had them.

dam i had to steal the neighdor kids lol. Yell

• Member ID:  38
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1255
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  7228
  • Birthday:  11/06/1971

OMG! LMAO! #14 Happened to me!

My mother ever so calmly said...we are going to have an accident, put her arm out in front of my chest, and BAM! Hit the dashboard...but I survived! Just so I could be here to show off my wonderful assets! Wink

• Member ID:  1634
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Content Count:  1634
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12427
  • Birthday:  04/19/1949

Yep and in the 60s if your car got better than 10 miles to the gallon you had a slug

of a ride. Gas was .34 cents a gallon fill it up for 4 bucks and got change back.

I remember no TV and just a radio after dinner.

Then when we did get one it was black and white only 3 channels.

All the things that Harry said is true but what good Milk.

I remember Moms first washing machine she cried when dad brought it home

you would have thought she won the Lotto.

Ass woppens tell my dad got tired only took 2 of those LOL.

TBB
To make a call you had to put your finger in the correct numbered holes and spin it.

Heh heh, young pup. No dial. You picked up the phone and if there was nobody talking on the party line (shared by 6 or 7 households) , an operator would ask, "number please."

One of the more amazing events of my childhood was the first transistor radio. We all got crystal radios as a kid but it was a paradigm shift to actually be able to take a radio with you - to the beach for instance. We just couldn't believe it. The other toys every kid got: erector sets, chemistry sets, Lincoln logs, cap guns and air rifles, little plastic soldiers, red wagons, steel-runner sleds, Mr. potato head, play-doh, slinkies and ant farms.

• Member ID:  38
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1255
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  7228
  • Birthday:  11/06/1971

SgtHarryWeezer
TBB

Heh heh, young pup. No dial. You picked up the phone and if there was nobody talking on the party line (shared by 6 or 7 households) , an operator would ask, "number please."

One of the more amazing events of my childhood was the first transistor radio. We all got crystal radios as a kid but it was a paradigm shift to actually be able to take a radio with you - to the beach for instance. We just couldn't believe it. The other toys every kid got: erector sets, chemistry sets, Lincoln logs, cap guns and air rifles, little plastic soldiers, red wagons, steel-runner sleds, Mr. potato head, play-doh, slinkies and ant farms.

I may be a tad younger Weezer....

But the toys...that's what I had! Chemistry set, microscope (to look at brine shrimp), and I LOVED lincoln logs! (I cannot believe the price for a set of lincoln logs.... I wasn't allowed the boy toys like cap guns and air rifles...so I was a bully and took them from others so I could play.  I do remember one toy I had (from my aunt) that they have today...Easy Bake Oven, all it had was a 40 watt lightbulb...and I STILL wasn't allowed to play with it! I guess that is why I was a baker during college...lol!

• Member ID:  528
  • Group:  ++ Minecraft Admin
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  267
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1585
  • Birthday:  02/13/1968

I miss penny candy stores...Cry  The good old days when your mother said wait till your farther comes home.And U got your ass Kicked..

• Member ID:  222
  • Followers:  88
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Content Count:  3846
  • Content Per Day:  0.72
  • Achievement Points:  25628
  • Birthday:  02/05/1968

LMAO at Bud, those brought back some memories!! I loved Evil Kneivel!!  And remember when Lincoln Logs were really made of wood?  They aren't any more.  And we had things like Lawn Darts!  LOL, can't have those today because they might go through somebody's head!

• Member ID:  177
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Content Count:  1669
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Achievement Points:  10581
  • Birthday:  05/08/1961
  • Device:  iPhone

DEEJAYKEG

And the test card on TV before programmes began...  Yes, no satellite, no cable and no 24-hour TV!

Test_card.gif

Jesus DJ, you brought back some memories with that shot. I grew up in the UK (born in '61) so I remember that well when I was a kid

Damn I am getting all misty or in the words of the immortal Cannon and Ball "I'm fillin up Tommy"

• Member ID:  177
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Content Count:  1669
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Achievement Points:  10581
  • Birthday:  05/08/1961
  • Device:  iPhone

I remember the dial phone. Back home they taught us how to dial the emergency number (999 in Britain) in the dark by sticking one finger in the 0 hole (sounds dirty, I know) then running the second finger around 3 times.

Remember that TV with the vacuum tubes. You turned it on and watched all the tubes glow and eventually get hot enough for it to work. Had that eerie orange glow in the back!!!

Never had a washing machine as a kid - Terraced house was too small, and we still had a fireplace till I was about 10, then we got...........wait for it..............Central Heating - radiators you could get 3rd degree burns from in each room of the house and hot water, instead of warming the water up over the fire.

Getting a "good hiding" from my dad every night, even when I didn't do anything wrong (which was not often)

Walking to school every day no matter what the weather (It seemed like miles)

Riding my bike sometimes 20-30 miles in a weekend day and at least 10-15 every night

Buying a quarter of sweets (candy to the yanks) at the corner shop that wasn't owned by a person from India or Pakistan and the bag seemed huge, although I am sure it was because we were smaller.

Getting pie, chips and gravy at the corner chippy, next door to the hairdressers (women only) which, again, was not owned by one of the above and didn't sell tandoori chicken or chicken vindaloo and chips - LOL

School uniforms (I have pictures of me in my uni - shorts and all) maybe I will post some if anyone is interested. - don't know if the kids over there still wear them or not

Beating up the ponces from the grammar school (because they were all spoiled rich bastards and their parents had cars and such) 

Ah the "good old Days"

• Member ID:  1130
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  216
  • Content Count:  2267
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Achievement Points:  17291
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/02/1948

Those where the good old days. No worries or nothing. Wish it could be like that again but not be that age. Good post Shamu.