Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

If You Were Born In The 60s, 70s, or 80s, You Have to Watch This. WOW.

wildthing

• Member ID:  3682
  • Group:  ++ COD5 Admin
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1834
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Achievement Points:  14780
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  01/12/1960
  • Device:  Android

Wood shop teachers in my middle and high school were PROUD of the paddles that they built for  what was called  " Corporal Punishment " ....they even had names for them, like " The Stopper " and " Ole Cracker ".  I used to pack a small lunch, get on my bicycle at 8 AM and go to the local swimming pool and stay all day, knowing that I had to be home by 4 for dinner...then go out again till the streetlights came on, then go home to sleep then do it again the next day.  I was never bored, always had something to do, no matter what the weather was and never complained about it.  Even when I explain this to my kid, he just doesn't get it.  3 channels on the TV...that was enough.  If some one then were to tell me that I would be playing games that I could shoot people from all over the world and talk to them at the same time on a machine in my house...I would not have believed them.  Yall think we made progress or did we screw everything up?

• Member ID:  3036
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  31
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  9419
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Achievement Points:  62539
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  04/26/2008
  • Device:  Windows

Its just a different form of entertainment. The term 'couch potato' didnt come about when video games were invented.

• Member ID:  4888
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2020
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  26312
  • Birthday:  08/29/1962

The bottom line is we were raised differently and so many post's here ring true for me and my upbringing.

I tried to raise my 2 kids the way I was raised but with so much bad parenting going on its hard to explain to your kids why the neighbor kid gets away with anything. Like LOM I taught my kids respect because I feel that if a person has respect for elders, the law, women, teachers, nature, other kids ect. then that's a good foundation for being successful. How many boys do you see hurry to open the door for a lady or elderly couple . . . . . rarely.

There are some things that are better now but there is something special about how we were raised and one day scientists will look back on that period in time and scratch their head trying to figure out what went RIGHT.

The hand basket is here the world is lined up to get in . . .  .. next stop  . . . . .HELL    (the world is going to hell in a hand basket)

I do open the door for others, as an example, in addition to other things that fall under simple courtesy towards others. And it didnt take spankings or whatever for me to learn that. :lol:

• Member ID:  607
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  75
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Content Count:  3344
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Achievement Points:  33813
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  09/16/1966

No Sammy it may of not been spankings, But children learn from their parents and mentors as they grow up so good parenting teaches respect and good behaviour.

Now all children like adults make mistakes and get in trouble and again its how we as parents react and make them face up to their mistakes that teaches kids the right way to behave like a caring adult.

A prime example is one of my step sons when he was younger about 7 stole a pack of chewing gum when he was with his friends  from our local shop.

Did he get spanked NO I marched him back to the shop told the shop keeper what he had done and made him apologise then pay for it. Also 2 weeks of sweeping the shop floor every night after school taught him a valuable lesson and while there the shop keeper was brilliant and explained that everything he loses through theft takes food off his table now 11 years later I can honestly say he has never been in trouble again and is a very hard working young man.

Unfortunately he party's hard too :lol:  :lol: :lol:  :lol: I guess he learnt that bad habbit from me  :lol:  :lol: :lol:  :lol:  

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.29
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Achievement Points:  131490
  • Days Won:  116

I do open the door for others, as an example, in addition to other things that fall under simple courtesy towards others. And it didnt take spankings or whatever for me to learn that. :lol:

Baldies right it didn't take spankings for us to be polite etc, i open doors and give up my seat for ladies or elderly people, i didn't need to be spanked to learn that but it was a different world back then, unfortunately things have changed nowadays, not saying all kids are not polite and show a lack of respect but it seems to be less and less every generation, i might be wrong about that but it's what i see, if parents show the way then there is a good chance the kids will grow up with the right attitude.

• Member ID:  1194
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  436
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6692
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Achievement Points:  53094
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  04/15/1960

At least where I live most kids today have absolutely no manners. I know it's not all of them, but it sure seems like a majority don't.

As an example, two weeks ago I was picking my daughter up from high school. There is a parking lot on the side of the school that exits out onto the only street in and out of the area. A young girl driving her dad's new F150 was exiting the parking lot, and just as she was crossing that one street the truck stalled and wouldn't re-start. I was about 10 cars behind her and it was clear that if she couldn't move that truck nobody was going to leave the school. So we have several hundred students and parents just sitting around watching this poor girl sit there blocking the only exit from the school, and not a single person bothered to do a damn thing to help her. Everybody just figured that somebody else would do it. Well nobody did, so I got out of my truck and told my daughter to stay there, told the girl to put it in neutral and steer it across the street while I push. This fucking thing was heavy, and there was a slight grade to the road. so I'm pushing several tons of truck alone while all of these strapping young men sit in their cars with their music cranked up. Everybody saw that I was struggling but nobody offered any help. I got the truck out of the way. walked back to my truck and left. At that point I was pretty disgusted with the kids in my daughter's school.

In my day boys would have been tripping over each other to get to her first to lend a hand.

• Member ID:  77
  • Group:  Fallen Members
  • Followers:  111
  • Topic Count:  1018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7527
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Achievement Points:  69486
  • Days Won:  47

If you think about it,our generation and our kids generation are the ones doing the teaching these days.Then again a lot of it might come from the media itself.I'm lucky my 2 boys are alright,but the grandchildren are spoiled,I see it already.

You are so right @JohhnyDos it is our generations fault.

And the reason for it is simple really, when we were young our parents did not have spare cash to buy luxury toy's and gadgets it was a constant struggle to bring us kids up..

So what happens we think to our selves we want better for our kids and spend spend  spend trying to give them a better life than we had. No hand me down clothes or home made toy's for our kids we took them on expensive holidays to foreign lands.

And in the process softened them up they never had to make their own fun the art of playing with your mates in the street communicating and learning to look after them selves..

So yes we ruined our kids by kindness and it gets worse as there generation try's to improve their kids life even more not realising what damage is really being done.

At least where I live most kids today have absolutely no manners. I know it's not all of them, but it sure seems like a majority don't.

As an example, two weeks ago I was picking my daughter up from high school. There is a parking lot on the side of the school that exits out onto the only street in and out of the area. A young girl driving her dad's new F150 was exiting the parking lot, and just as she was crossing that one street the truck stalled and wouldn't re-start. I was about 10 cars behind her and it was clear that if she couldn't move that truck nobody was going to leave the school. So we have several hundred students and parents just sitting around watching this poor girl sit there blocking the only exit from the school, and not a single person bothered to do a damn thing to help her. Everybody just figured that somebody else would do it. Well nobody did, so I got out of my truck and told my daughter to stay there, told the girl to put it in neutral and steer it across the street while I push. This fucking thing was heavy, and there was a slight grade to the road. so I'm pushing several tons of truck alone while all of these strapping young men sit in their cars with their music cranked up. Everybody saw that I was struggling but nobody offered any help. I got the truck out of the way. walked back to my truck and left. At that point I was pretty disgusted with the kids in my daughter's school.

In my day boys would have been tripping over each other to get to her first to lend a hand.

Great example.

I can easily see that happening. I'm sure they could manage to honk the horn too and make a few remarks.

I would bet that in at least one of those cars full of kids someone took notice of what you did and new it was the right thing to do.

We as parents aren't able to change whats going on but we dam sure cant give up,

JohnnyDos & Baldie you guys must be reading my mail.  :lol:

So true we struggled growing up ( I was number 6 of 6 kids growing up) and somewhere along the line we decided that our kids would have it better .  . and we did.

Its hard to say that what we did was a bad thing because how could making things better be a bad thing?

How would we know that giving your kids too much could have a bad effect on them and worse yet how could you convince future parents to not be so generous.

Parenting and teaching kids now and in the future will be an extremely complicated ordeal at best and I have a feeling that most parents won't be up to the task and so the cycle continues and perhaps worsens.

This was a great topic and has provoked some good discussion

Thanks Wildthing

• Member ID:  2068
  • Group:  +++ COD5 Head Admin
  • Followers:  69
  • Topic Count:  1077
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  8454
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Achievement Points:  75129
  • Days Won:  64
  • Birthday:  05/23/1973

Thanks for that.  So very true, all of it.  I still remind my kids today, teenagers all 4 of them, what we didn't have back then but at the same time, how much more we had.  Hey, I made it and had a great time with my friends getting here.

We didn't have a lot when we were younger but reading these posts i think we can agree that less was more when we were young.

Damn this has brought back some good memories Thank you Wildthing.

And just to finish off who remembers these......532d86ac59f6f_images4.jpg532d86bf28a80_frelek1.jpg532d86f585d7f_raleigh_chopper_2.jpg

Damn this has brought back some good memories Thank you Wildthing.

And just to finish off who remembers these......532d86ac59f6f_images4.jpg532d86bf28a80_frelek1.jpg532d86f585d7f_raleigh_chopper_2.jpg

I was already too old when these came out m8 :X Maybe not Meccano lol

Edited by Sonovabich

• Member ID:  1022
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8504
  • Content Per Day:  1.62
  • Achievement Points:  81318
  • Days Won:  397
  • Birthday:  07/19/1962

Sure miss those days..  532d950bcc84f_Gumby_and_Pokey.jpg

These were more my time

532d966545829_actionmen.jpg 532d966f456aa_monopoly.jpg 532d967abaffe_scalectrix.jpg 532d96b17ba4e_lego.jpg

• Member ID:  907
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Content Count:  2731
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  26177
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  02/10/1969

In 1977 I was playing with a bunch of other 8 year olds on the street - riding bikes over homemade ramps - including some girls.  A black Trans Am pulled up the street with two guys in their 20s in it, and they tried to get one of the girls to go with them - but all the curious kids on bikes around their car spooked them off.  I ended up having to go look through mug shot books at the police station, did a line-up... so yeah, they were definitely out there back then and the cops took it seriously.  Chances are you weren't really ever alone as a kid though, you tended to travel in packs.  Heh. 

From the time I was 6 until I got my first paper route at 12, I got up almost every morning and walked a mile down to the river and fished from 4am until 6am, then went to school.  After school I did whatever homework I had, and was back at that river fishing, building tree forts with my friends, making homemade bows and arrows, all that stuff.  When I got my first paper route, I was up at 5am every morning delivering papers before school, and in the summer I would make sure I was up as soon as the papers were dropped off so I could get done quick and make it to my fishing hole as soon as possible.  By the time I was 16 I was biking so much to get everywhere that even though I got my driver's license (I got my first ticket the day I passed my driving test), I entered a 100 mile bike race and rode it that summer, and it was easy because I still rode my bike everywhere all day long.

My dad never had to swat me after I was probably 5 or so. It was just the threat of it that kept me in line after that.

I used to walk to school from kindergarten on, and yes I got into fights, got paddled at school several times, broke bones, had the police bring me home, and through it all I survived.  Not long after my first was born (early 90's) a local 12 year old girl named Polly Klaas was kidnapped from her bedroom, raped and murdered. The guy who did it is still on death row and the way laws work today he'll probably die of old age. It was national news and had a big effect on how we parents raised our kids. After that it seems that pedophiles we frequently on the news and parents didn't want to let their kids out of their sight. I know those freaks were around when we were kids, but you rarely heard about them and I'm sure many were dealt with swiftly without the law being involved.

I got my driver's license the day I turned 16, and other than my middle daughter who is just like me, my other two kids are or were in no hurry to drive. They don't have that same burning desire to get away from home and be independent like I did at their ages. They're perfectly happy visiting with their friends online and playing video games. It kind of makes me sick to think about all they're missing out on. Those were the the most fun years of my life.

In 77 I was already married and had a 1 year old son LOL.

Edited by JohnnyDos

• Member ID:  842
  • Followers:  62
  • Topic Count:  278
  • Content Count:  3712
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Achievement Points:  28451
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  05/04/1965

532daca895f6a_194198centtoys.jpg@@JohnnyDos

532dad2723a97_1941gilbertelectrictrain.j

532dad3a77a79_1941gilberterectorset.jpg

Edited by deerejon

Oh yeah,I got an electric train set,had the erector set,and then the little green army men that we used to blow up with firecrackersLOL532db17741b8c_th.jpg

• Member ID:  1194
  • Followers:  40
  • Topic Count:  436
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6692
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Achievement Points:  53094
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  04/15/1960

I had the tin soldier set where you melt lead and make your own soldiers. Of course letting your 8 year old son play with melted lead isn't always a good idea. I spilled it on one of my toes and burned the nail clean off.

I still have a nice scar across my thumb from about the same age where I cut it while making a sling shot with a pocket knife. Other than that, a broken leg from a neighbors trampoline, 2 compound fractures in my right arm from falling off the roof of a house under construction the year after breaking my leg, then 2 broken legs from a motorcycle accident at 16. Ah the wonder years. It's a wonder I'm still alive.

• Member ID:  9
  • Followers:  66
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Content Count:  1239
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  11498

Back when I was a kid in parochial school, the nuns ruled with an iron fist. Once I was picked up by my ears for speaking during a fire drill, holy shit did that hurt. I never did that again. Then once I had to hold out both my hands while the nun whacked me across my knuckles, just for disobeying the hall monitor. Many things were different back then. When we had air raid drills we had to pull down the window shades. Then we got under our desks and covered our heads. OMG like that was going to keep us from being vaporized.  

We built snow forts and cleared sidewalks of our elderly neighbors for free. I never addressed an adult by their first name. It was always Mr. or Mrs. first. Curse words were rarely heard. The word "crap" was about as strong as I spoke until I was around 15.  

I see alot of comments about strict nuns. Their behavior is probably why many people dont hold them in high regard these days.

• Member ID:  907
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Content Count:  2731
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  26177
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  02/10/1969

Back when I was a kid in parochial school, the nuns ruled with an iron fist. Once I was picked up by my ears for speaking during a fire drill, holy shit did that hurt. I never did that again. Then once I had to hold out both my hands while the nun whacked me across my knuckles, just for disobeying the hall monitor. Many things were different back then. When we had air raid drills we had to pull down the window shades. Then we got under our desks and covered our heads. OMG like that was going to keep us from being vaporized.  

We built snow forts and cleared sidewalks of our elderly neighbors for free. I never addressed an adult by their first name. It was always Mr. or Mrs. first. Curse words were rarely heard. The word "crap" was about as strong as I spoke until I was around 15.  

When I was 6 I was horsing around with my younger brother (4) in the hallway of our family's first real house, and he farted.  I exclaimed, "You farted!"  I got to eat half a bar of soap for that.  The soap made my tongue break out into a really painful rash on one side, like it was burned.  After that no one had to actually chew the soap in our house anymore.  Heh. 

My dad was mostly into heinous chores for punishment.   My older brother and I got into a fist fight one day and ended up having to go out back and cut down then dig up 8 30' tall poplar trees.  Another time I got caught sneaking out and smoking cigarettes with some friends of mine and my dad gave me the choice of being ground all Summer (it was in June) or painting the outside of the house that weekend (back when houses had siding that you still painted). 

I was lucky on the broken bones front.  Broke my nose twice - one time when my little brother than my head into an end table, and another time when I caught a hockey puck in the face.  I have plenty of scars from knives, fishing hooks, bike crashes, and all the other assorted ways boys like to hurt themselves.  Even put a nail through my foot one time.  About the worst trouble I ever got it was when my friend Eric and I made a homemade balista and shot an arrow into a neighborhood house's roof a block away. 

We beat each other up with wooden "katanas" that we carved out of trees we cut down with our pocket knives when we were 9.  We got boxing gloves for Christmas one year after Rocky came out and we held boxing tournaments in my friend Eric's back yard every Saturday for all the kids in the neighborhood.  Climbing a tree meant going to the last limb that could hold your weight.  My mom took us out after dark and taught us how to catch night crawlers and we sold them to the local bait shops for a $1 for every 100 we caught.   When we came inside during the summer, our mom would say, "If you need something to do I will give you something to do."  And that meant you went back outside and made yourself scarce.  The TV was always on my dad's shows - and if you didn't like it you did something else.  We always ate dinner at the table as a family until we were all in high school and sports and jobs prevented it, but we still always did on Sunday.  My dad told bad jokes, we cleaned up everything on our plates, and after we went outside unless there was thunder and lightning because being inside meant getting put to work.

I had about the best childhood anyone ever had IMHO.