Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Why Did We Shit-Can the BF3 Servers...?

Astronomer

• Member ID:  2069
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  214
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2411
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  18298
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  08/08/1966
  • Device:  Windows

Hi all,

Last time I played the BF3 servers, they were fairly full. I was hoping to get back into the game over the upcoming holiday. I was shocked to see that they are no more. Why? We still have COD2, COD4, and COD5 servers all running, despite the ages of the games. By many accounts BF3 has better maps than BF4. Can someone please shed some light on this?

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.29
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Achievement Points:  131490
  • Days Won:  116

I agree i would have liked to have seen our BF3 Euro server survive at least (never played the U.S. server so have no idea what the numbers were like there) we have other game groups that have a few servers empty most of the time but we seem to keep paying for these nonetheless, i do understand the BF3/4  servers are more expensive to run though, also agree about the quality of the maps between BF3  and BF4,  not saying BF4  maps are crap but i don't think they are anywhere near having the wow factor of the BF3  maps when they came out despite that great Paracel Storm map, that shows how good they really could have been, saying that i think the China Rising map pack was an improvement on the maps that arrived with the game, maybe the next lot will be even better.

Edited by Sonovabich

• Member ID:  561
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  84
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5334
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Achievement Points:  41339
  • Days Won:  29
  • Birthday:  04/06/1992

I think the main reason was although we had a few members that played it we did not have any admins that were willing to take over the server. We cannot run servers without admins so they were removed. 

duc

• Member ID:  2759
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  199
  • Content Count:  3496
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Achievement Points:  26464
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/27/1990

Hi all,

Last time I played the BF3 servers, they were fairly full. I was hoping to get back into the game over the upcoming holiday. I was shocked to see that they are no more. Why? We still have COD2, COD4, and COD5 servers all running, despite the ages of the games. By many accounts BF3 has better maps than BF4. Can someone please shed some light on this?

I'm in the exact same boat. I was hoping to play some bf3 with yall, but now... I dont have the money to spend on bf4

• Member ID:  677
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  172
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1457
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Achievement Points:  9890
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  02/20/1986

Did we even attempt to replace the admins that decided to abandon their bf3 post?

• Member ID:  2986
  • Followers:  206
  • Topic Count:  384
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  6453
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Achievement Points:  50693
  • Days Won:  21
  • Birthday:  12/19/1967
  • Device:  iPhone

I count 14 on the list.....???????

I'm in the exact same boat. I was hoping to play some bf3 with yall, but now... I dont have the money to spend on bf4

Same here. Bad time of year, expenses, had to fix the furnace...

Same here. Bad time of year, expenses, had to fix the furnace...

I am just wrapping up a 19 credit semester.  :|

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  184
  • Topic Count:  2827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.53
  • Content Count:  11845
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  106362
  • Days Won:  123
  • Birthday:  08/25/1976

We kept the EU BF3 server open for a month after BF4 came out and the server was completely dead, so I took that as on one wanted to play it. 

Now if people want to get a server again and will actually play it, because its not easy getting a BF3 server going and populated. You will have to sit in an empty server for awhile to get it going, the way we did it before is that we had the admins there to sit in the server and wait for players to join. This could take up to 30 mins and sometimes people wouldn't show up at all. 

If you are committed to putting the time in to get it going then I will get another BF3 server. Just let me know

• Member ID:  906
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  143
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  17061
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Achievement Points:  148392
  • Days Won:  675
  • Birthday:  11/30/1960

i am sure people would like a BF3 server ..the game is great ..and i still go and play a round or 2 now and then..as for admins .there people here to help in any way ..i am sure wildbill wimmppy and any 1 of us can help out with no problem..lets know we are here ..

• Member ID:  1188
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1692
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  15036

We had/and still have admins for bf3 ...just no players. 

All of our "regular XI members and our public players" went to our BF4 servers. Sorry Astro!  The admin team spent the last 2 months(prior to bf4) asking members (who play alot) what they wanted or intended to do.

Dont think for a minute that all the time we put in getting those servers going that we would discharged all that hard work  just for the heck of it. Its a Damn Shame to see all the hours we spent building a base, and nobody wanted to stick around.... Wait they did, just  most of them are in bf4 servers now.

The  fact of the matter is  that we do not have enough XI members who play BF3/4 to keep them both going. 

• Member ID:  142
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  277
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1986
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Achievement Points:  13866
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/01/1985

We kept the EU BF3 server open for a month after BF4 came out and the server was completely dead, so I took that as on one wanted to play it. 

Now if people want to get a server again and will actually play it, because its not easy getting a BF3 server going and populated. You will have to sit in an empty server for awhile to get it going, the way we did it before is that we had the admins there to sit in the server and wait for players to join. This could take up to 30 mins and sometimes people wouldn't show up at all. 

If you are committed to putting the time in to get it going then I will get another BF3 server. Just let me know

+ 1 

For Bf3 server get populated , you have to have certain players start the server every day... we need to head count how many of them are willing to play the game .. b4 we add the server

• Member ID:  2068
  • Group:  +++ COD5 Head Admin
  • Followers:  69
  • Topic Count:  1071
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  8425
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Achievement Points:  74829
  • Days Won:  64
  • Birthday:  05/23/1973

I'd like to see a BF3 server again and at the very least, see how it goes.  As with any game, I play when I can which is usually only a few nights a week, sometimes more if possible.  Is not the same though playing on a non-XI server so I stopped playing and given the increased cost of BF4 (fn theives), damn responsibility is in the way of getting it right now.  Anyway, your call boss and admins.  No hard feelings either way. 

• Member ID:  558
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Topic Count:  576
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3785
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Achievement Points:  29048
  • Birthday:  06/06/1964

The last two an Halve years have not only admins hung around for 30 minutes or servers to boot. Not only did the admins so  also credits to non admins

Pity the EU server is gone because that always ran fine and was in the morning always pretty quick start.

Edited by X3mBad

I'd like to see a BF3 server again and at the very least, see how it goes.  As with any game, I play when I can which is usually only a few nights a week, sometimes more if possible.  Is not the same though playing on a non-XI server so I stopped playing and given the increased cost of BF4 (fn theives), damn responsibility is in the way of getting it right now.  Anyway, your call boss and admins.  No hard feelings either way. 

Agree with you Merlin. I'm in the same situation. I'd like to see the game return as I'll have some time to play it, but if it isn't worth it as per the Admins analysis, well, that's that. Shame too, as both of us waited for the sales and deals to buy the whole map-pack shebang. :ouch:

Agree with you Merlin. I'm in the same situation. I'd like to see the game return as I'll have some time to play it, but if it isn't worth it as per the Admins analysis, well, that's that. Shame too, as both of us waited for the sales and deals to buy the whole map-pack shebang. :ouch:

Now it's back to square one with bf4 lol!

I spent over $120 on bf3...  they got me!    $60 (base game) $15 (first expansion... before premium was out) $50 (premium)

I'm not falling for the same scam with bf4. No way in heck I'm buying it until it's $20 on steam.

edit: I was actually just looking for my cod4 disc... maybe I'll give that a wirl!!!

Edited by eidolonFIRE

• Member ID:  82
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Topic Count:  1534
  • Topics Per Day:  0.29
  • Content Count:  5020
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Achievement Points:  131490
  • Days Won:  116

When the penny finally drops and people realize that BF4 is not as good as BF3 they might come back :lol: And there are still full BF3  servers out there but as for sitting in an empty server waiting for it to fill up forget about that, i did that when BF3  came out, in those days we needed 8 people to get a server started, there were some long boring days back then, not willing to do that again.

Edited by Sonovabich

• Member ID:  19683
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  578
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Achievement Points:  4968
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  iPhone

Running a populated, reasonably popular BF3 server, especially now most of the players have buggered off to BF4, is not a trivial thing to do.

I see most of the BF3 players in the BF4 servers now. Very few have stuck to 3. Certainly all of the players that I saw would sit in the empty server to kickstart it in the mornings have gone to BF4. And as Hans² pointed out, filling up the empty server in the morning isn't just done by admins, you need 4 people and for the EU box anyway, that meant regular players, not even clanmembers, who showed up early and helped the server start up by joining it while they had breakfast.

The problem there I think will prove to be: if you could be bothered to invest the time to help start the server up in the morning and to spend time on it every day as an admin, you would by now have already either told rugger or you would have bought BF4. If you spent a lot of time in the game, you would probably have found something else to save on so you could by BF4. Beers in the pub, smoking, anything. Honestly I doubt that  the people who play "a few nights a week" are numerous enough to start that server, let alone admin it. And you really do need active admins if you want the server to stay full.