Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

A career change

Cookie

• Member ID:  26216
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  600
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/16/1996
  • Device:  Windows

Hey fellow gamers,

I wanted to share a significant decision I've made in my life and seek some advice and support from this amazing community. After spending the last nine years in the world of IT, the past four of which have been increasingly unhappy and stressful, I've decided to pivot towards a healthcare career. And guess what? My ultimate goal is to become a Nurse!

At 28 years old, I feel like now is the perfect time for this change. I've just finished my Forensic Psychology BSc, which has been a fascinating journey, but I've realized my passion lies in making a tangible difference in people's lives, especially during their times of need.

The decision to leave behind a stable career in IT hasn't been easy. I've become increasingly short with people (I apologise if I have subjected any of you to that), and the stress has been taking its toll. But I believe it's time for a change, and I'm ready to take the leap.

Right now, I'm in the midst of applying for roles as a healthcare assistant with the NHS. It's a nerve-wracking process, but I'm hopeful that this will be the first step towards a fulfilling career in healthcare.

I know there are challenges ahead, especially considering the shift from IT to healthcare, but I'm determined to overcome them. And that's where I could use your help. If any of you have made similar career transitions or have experience working in healthcare, I'd love to hear your advice and insights.

And if you have any tips for landing a role as a healthcare assistant with the NHS or just want to share words of encouragement, please don't hesitate to reach out. Your support means the world to me, and I'm grateful to have such an awesome community to turn to during this exciting but uncertain time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and here's to new beginnings and chasing our dreams, no matter where they lead us!

Cheers!

Cookie

• Member ID:  31
  • Followers:  48
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  372
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2783
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/25/1981

If  you are passionate about your new field then it cant be a bad thing.  Take a deep breathe, you  got this Cookie.

16 minutes ago, blackwidow said:

If  you are passionate about your new field then it cant be a bad thing.  Take a deep breathe, you  got this Cookie.

Thanks a bunch for the words of encouragement! You're spot on - if there's one thing I'm certain about, it's my passion for this new field. But hey, I won't lie, the thought of a pay decrease and diving into a new level of study makes me feel a bit stressed.

• Member ID:  1445
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  721
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Achievement Points:  5571
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  01/23/1963

At 28 years of age you have got a whole lot of living to do and if you can find a career that makes you want to get up in the morning and head off to work then go for it.

I've made some career (and country) changes in my time, and it has all worked out really well.  As a matter of fact I start a new job tomorrow after 20 years at my last - and I'm 61!

Sorry I can't help with any NHS advice, but you're on your first step and I'm sure you will do well.

Cheers

Bosun

• Member ID:  23
  • Group:  ++ COD2 Admin
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1830
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Achievement Points:  16063
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  08/06/1960

About 11 years ago when our Son was 30 and he had helped his Mom my Wife take care of his grandfather during his final days because he wanted to stay in his house. Our Son realized just how much he disliked his job as a Sr. Service Advisor at the local Rolls Royce, Bentley, Lambo dealer and how much he felt good about himself while helping someone who really needed him was. He went to a school here in the States that had a fast track program to become a CMA (Certified Medical Assistant) and was working in less then 9 months. He loves it and the Dr.'s and Nurses who he works with have all encouraged him to become a Nurse. Empathy is unfortunately not a trait everyone is born with and Nurses are special people. I say if that is something you can make a living doing and it makes you feel good about you and your best life then do it. People change careers all the time now. Plus the Medical field is always going to be hiring as we age but seem to live longer with all sorts of shit going on with our bodies. Good Luck to you, YOU GOT THIS. PS don't enjoy giving the sponge bathes too much or you may get in trouble lmao

• Member ID:  27768
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  938
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  7764

You Are still young, do what makes you happy and you will be happy for the rest of your life!

• Member ID:  20343
  • Followers:  89
  • Topic Count:  203
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3381
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  30034
  • Birthday:  07/01/1983

Chase a purpose in life, one that has a greater meaning and is to the benefit of all, even in a small way. You will find contentment. 

• Member ID:  433
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  345
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2333
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Achievement Points:  24047
  • Days Won:  35
  • Birthday:  05/28/1957
  • Device:  iPhone

Change can be good. Leaving a stressful career is good. Health care can be stressful as well but very rewarding. At a young 28 you will likely change your career at least 1 or 2 more times. It may simply be a promotion to a management position but it will happen. Change is good it refreshes your energy. 
Welcome any career change with an open mind.

Weed

• Member ID:  24842
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1413
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Achievement Points:  14733
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  09/12/1989

If you find IT stressfull, good luck wiht being in healthcare. I've spent 16 years as a psychiatric nurse, mostly in forensic psychiatry and I made the decision to drop healthcare and starting a complete different job tomorrow. I always admired the coworkers who spent 20, 30, 40+ years in healthcare and saw it as their calling. Wish you the same feeling they had :cheers:

Thank you for all the well wishes everyone!

As for the below:

Thanks for sharing your experience in healthcare; it definitely gives me some food for thought.

When it comes to my IT job, I totally get where you're coming from with the stress. For me, it's not just the deadlines where customers and managers have unrealistic expectations but also trying to keep up with the lightning-fast changes in technology. It feels like a never-ending race sometimes.

Transitioning to healthcare might bring different challenges, but I'm hopeful it'll be a change for the better. Here's to hoping for a bit more balance and fulfilment in my career path. Thanks again for your insights and well encouragement.

Best of luck with your new job!

2 hours ago, Sourtap said:

If you find IT stressfull, good luck wiht being in healthcare. I've spent 16 years as a psychiatric nurse, mostly in forensic psychiatry and I made the decision to drop healthcare and starting a complete different job tomorrow. I always admired the coworkers who spent 20, 30, 40+ years in healthcare and saw it as their calling. Wish you the same feeling they had :cheers:

• Member ID:  24118
  • Group:  + COD4 Moderator
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1078
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  10017
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  01/23/1962

Congrats @Cookie.  This change may result in the most demanding, most challenging and most rewarding thing you have ever done.

Jump in with both feet and go make a difference!!

• Member ID:  26443
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  5964
  • Content Per Day:  2.52
  • Achievement Points:  51030
  • Days Won:  118
  • Birthday:  09/26/1971
  • Device:  Android

You think IT is stressful...

A computer won't piss, spit, puke, or bleed on you.

Nor will it try biting or punching you.

Edited by Timmah!

• Member ID:  22360
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  646
  • Birthday:  12/01/1984

Follow your hearts passion in any career as long as your happy with you work at the end of the day

• Member ID:  30793
  • Group:  ** Registered Users
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  301
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Achievement Points:  2290
  • Days Won:  2

Good for you @Cookie. I lived the IT stress game starting in the Mid 90's and today I couldn't image going back. I'd rather be poor and sit on the edge of a mountain instead while being happy, free from stress and surrounded by cool critters. Doing IT you take on everyone else's problems around you and your life is constantly distracted thinking if solutions 24/7. I'd wake up in the middle of the night with an idea to fix a current problem constantly.  

I worked in the medical IT field for years and noticed Nursing and IT have many similar things in common, probably why you choose it. Not sure you'll escape the stress but maybe it's a different kind of stress.  

This verse is for you... good luck!

Edited by ALanHim

• Member ID:  2208
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  305
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3618
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  37729
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  06/09/1963

Forensic Psychology wow that would be interesting..Yes like everyone said you are young and go for whatever makes you happy!! You change as a human every 5 years it does not mean you have to stay in that job forever. Have fun!!!

• Member ID:  607
  • Followers:  75
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3338
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Achievement Points:  33689
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  09/16/1966

On 3/16/2024 at 9:19 PM, Cookie said:

Hey fellow gamers,

I wanted to share a significant decision I've made in my life and seek some advice and support from this amazing community. After spending the last nine years in the world of IT, the past four of which have been increasingly unhappy and stressful, I've decided to pivot towards a healthcare career. And guess what? My ultimate goal is to become a Nurse!

At 28 years old, I feel like now is the perfect time for this change. I've just finished my Forensic Psychology BSc, which has been a fascinating journey, but I've realized my passion lies in making a tangible difference in people's lives, especially during their times of need.

The decision to leave behind a stable career in IT hasn't been easy. I've become increasingly short with people (I apologise if I have subjected any of you to that), and the stress has been taking its toll. But I believe it's time for a change, and I'm ready to take the leap.

Right now, I'm in the midst of applying for roles as a healthcare assistant with the NHS. It's a nerve-wracking process, but I'm hopeful that this will be the first step towards a fulfilling career in healthcare.

I know there are challenges ahead, especially considering the shift from IT to healthcare, but I'm determined to overcome them. And that's where I could use your help. If any of you have made similar career transitions or have experience working in healthcare, I'd love to hear your advice and insights.

And if you have any tips for landing a role as a healthcare assistant with the NHS or just want to share words of encouragement, please don't hesitate to reach out. Your support means the world to me, and I'm grateful to have such an awesome community to turn to during this exciting but uncertain time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and here's to new beginnings and chasing our dreams, no matter where they lead us!

Cheers!

Cookie

Hi @Cookie I have a son and Daughter working in the NHS my sister worked for 35 years at first as a nurse and worked up to being a lecturer. And there advice would be once in the door and when you start completing various parts of your training. Think about Bank working, now it has its risks (No sick or paid annual leave ) But the upside you pick your shifts to suit you, You will be paid more, You do not get stuck on the same ward you move around so get a better education. And you have free time to suit your learning times. Its only a suggestion but its an option to think about down the road. 👍

• Member ID:  2985
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1670
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Achievement Points:  20177
  • Days Won:  14
  • Birthday:  12/01/1966

Can't help you in any healthcare advice, But i can say good luck. Healthcare can be very challenging, But very rewarding. It will be very different from the IT world you were in. But at your young age you should do great.. Again good luck and have fun with it. And if your single, Nurses are hot!  😎

• Member ID:  9264
  • Followers:  89
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6095
  • Content Per Day:  1.52
  • Achievement Points:  51458
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  07/13/1981

Geriatric Nurse here. I work with Alzheimers and Dementia. Started out as a nursing assistant. Its.....well an interesting job. Health care is either you can handle it or you don't. At a young age it seems to be fine but it can burn you out pretty quick. Good luck in your endeavors and hope you enjoy what you pick. 

• Member ID:  27522
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1914
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Achievement Points:  13391
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/22/1951

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Go for it!

Awards

• Member ID:  27768
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  938
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Achievement Points:  7764

Alan, listening to that verse put chills down my spine, sounded so familiar to me.

• Member ID:  28834
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  118
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Achievement Points:  23657
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  07/04/1995

I can only say this from the other side, while there may be patients that will be a pain in the ass, there will be others who will be forever grateful to you. When I was in the hospital, I got a whole lot of respect and love for the nurses (and I started to dislike the doctors a bit who just barged in with advice and where gone again). I'll always remember them, because they were people who were there for me and stood up for me in some really hard days.