Come try out our new Arcade we just put up, new games added weekly. Link at the top of the website ×

Replacement of Xfire

Sitting-Duc

What communication service should replace Xfire  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What are the current communication services that you have?

• Origin
    • Steam
    • Overwolf
    • Raptr
    • Evolve
    • Teamspeak
    • GSC
    • HLSW Chat System
    • Razer Comms
  2. 2. What are the current communication services that you use?

• Origin
    • Steam
    • Overwolf
    • Raptr
    • Evolve
    • Teamspeak
    • GSC
    • HLSW Chat System
    • Razer Comms
  3. 3. What service do you think should replace Xfire?

• Origin
    • Steam
    • Overwolf
    • Raptr
    • Evolve
    • Teamspeak
    • GSC
    • HLSW Chat System
    • Razer Comms

• Member ID:  3189
  • Group:  *** Clan Members
  • Followers:  93
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  5234
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Achievement Points:  48752
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  112
  • Birthday:  12/24/1957
  • Device:  Windows

Maybe I've been wrong about TeamSpeak.  I just realized that you can right-click on a person and open a chat tab to them.  I thought chat was limited to the chat box for the room you were in.

What I don't know is what happens if someone tries to text chat me and I'm 1) in-game, or 2) just sitting in a room hanging out.  Can someone tell me that?

If it gives you some kind of notification that you've received a new message in both of those cases, I'm changing my vote.  And as many have pointed out, we've already paid to establish our own TS server, so it makes sense to maximize our return.

(At the moment, I'm sitting in the COD5 Admin TS room - could someone try to text message me while I'm sitting in there?)

• Member ID:  220
  • Group:  **- Inactive Registered Users
  • Followers:  147
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  16950
  • Content Per Day:  3.17
  • Achievement Points:  129713
  • Days Won:  120
  • Birthday:  04/05/1970

Look what XFire has done to us. :)

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member ID:  20343
  • Followers:  89
  • Topic Count:  203
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3381
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  30034
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1983
  • Device:  Macintosh

Maybe I've been wrong about TeamSpeak.  I just realized that you can right-click on a person and open a chat tab to them.  I thought chat was limited to the chat box for the room you were in.

What I don't know is what happens if someone tries to text chat me and I'm 1) in-game, or 2) just sitting in a room hanging out.  Can someone tell me that?

If it gives you some kind of notification that you've received a new message in both of those cases, I'm changing my vote.  And as many have pointed out, we've already paid to establish our own TS server, so it makes sense to maximize our return.

(At the moment, I'm sitting in the COD5 Admin TS room - could someone try to text message me while I'm sitting in there?)

It plays a very feeble sound that I only hear when there is absolutely no other sound playing on my PC. The chat works well, but I suppose it might work better with Overwolf.

• Member ID:  20371
  • Followers:  159
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  306
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  2727
  • Birthday:  06/11/1966

downside to Teamspeak is getting poked while in game and it minimizes the game.  extremely annoying.  sometimes can't get game to come back up and have to restart

I am positive you can turn that notification off either in TS or in windows notifications. Xfire would do that to me when I got messages, it never did work well with Cod4 at all.

I like steam because I can use it ingame with any game, steam game or not. Xfire was less than stellar at that.  Steam has a light footprint 2.75mb program size and only uses 52K of ram idling in the tray. There is a Steam mobile app that works fairly well for messaging out and about.

It has been a long time since I used HLSW.  UO/CoD2 I used it as an admin Rcon tool to watch over multiple servers. I think there is a mobile app for it? I tried it a number of years ago but the phone I had at the time was crap so not much to say on that besides I never knew it had chat.

Origin...I have no valid reason to not like it but I never did like it.  :ermm: I also have naming issues with origin. 

my penny's worth 

Edited by ~Marley

• Member ID:  1331
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1193
  • Birthday:  09/09/1989

honestly i dont think theres anything i've found quite like xfire, however AMD does offer there Evolved software that has a couple perks, there's messaging, prizes for game time played, in game overlay although it can be glitchy, and a game list 

• Member ID:  2162
  • Group:  ++ COD4 Admin
  • Followers:  153
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5088
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Achievement Points:  44663
  • Days Won:  22
  • Birthday:  02/26/1972

Evolve has everything that X-Fire had including game tracking and PMs and video recording and sharing which is what us Admins need.

Runs good on my machine.I turned every option on a bit ago and it uses around 30mb of memory and does not care if Steam is on at the same time.My X-Fire would crash every time I would load up steam.

Raptr was OK but extremely glitchy,especially the chat interface and video sharing.Some times it would work good but would randomly crash,other times you couldn't get it to do anything.

We can't use Steam or Origin as a replacement because they don't support all the games.

Razer software doesn't run very well on my machine.It's pretty damn hard to use and it uses quite a bit of memory.Friggin BloatWare.

We allready have TS but not everyone is a TS person and if an Admin is needed they would of been PMed VIA X-Fire before.So we need something that will Function Much like X-Fire did.

Overwolf just sucks.Had it on my machine for almost 4 months.It relies on that funky overlay to do stuff ingame and it would crash cod4 or the overlay would get stuck and stop responding.Video sizes were HUGE 3 minutes of video was around 1.5gb and quality was very poor.

Edited by Pvt.Death

• Member ID:  2048
  • Group:  ***- Inactive Clan Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  6689
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Achievement Points:  48999
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  05/30/1967

so we have teamspeak already so use it id suggest .all admins have to have it on and when problem occurs you go into ts and find an admin instantly.or if its about messenging then everyone has a messenger program msn or icq is what alot of others use just set one as the clans pik.all on icq or msn to message an  admin.we already have that stuff in our profiles on website and messenging on the website too.i thinks this is getting too complicated.have the admins vote on this and tell us what will be used.400 opinions confuses things

also found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients

Edited by Damage_inc-

• Member ID:  21093
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  742
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  06/16/1971

Im not a member but i'll give 2 cents on the topic anyway. Ive ran many servers and 2 different clans over about 20 years and i've seen applications come and go hell i remember using Roger Wilco for voice coms - anyway. Not all will be 100% on board with any change. Bottom line change sucks on the virtual world and people are reluctant but you boss's will have to just pick the best option you can and go with it. There is not a perfect replacement for xfire and those of you that have been around long enough heard the same bitching from members about getting xfire in the first place. I havent tested evolve but they seem to be the only ones that are similar and are making a huge effort to streamline xfire members into evolve which means it will suck at first and gradually get better - or atleast serve a good purpose until another better application is designed. Much of the gaming world shifted away from PC back to console several years ago and its Very SLOWLY coming back so hopefully some little freak needs a cool project for his college class and loves playing FPS games.

https://blog.evolvehq.com/2015/06/goodbye-xfire-we-will-miss-you/

TS and overwolf are paid for but i dont see the appeal as a community for communication. The idea of chat messangers  from a leadership role  are getting somoenes attention when there not in game usually to discuss issues or ideas. You dont really want bothered if your actually playing a game with tabbing out. From members point of view your looking for a way to see where friends are playing and follow them in various servers, again i dont see where TS/ Overwolf is a huge appeal. Rather its just already proven and safe but not a viable replacement for what is actually needed.

I play multiple games and im assuming evolve will be largely accepted from many communities as the new xfire but thats yet to be seen. 

Here ya go come check it out.lol I sent a bunch of invites out.

https://www.evolvehq.com/groups/xtreme-idiots

Here Auto join Link.Once you create an account click on this it will automatically send Group join request.

https://www.evolvehq.com/recruit/group?token=player:VDjGmrCXjMbwDlgg,group:Pr48SnZIa4eStFb7

Edited by Pvt.Death

• Member ID:  45
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  981
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  9014
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Achievement Points:  65855
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1951

Here ya go come check it out.lol I sent a bunch of invites out.

https://www.evolvehq.com/groups/xtreme-idiots

Here Auto join Link.Once you create an account click on this it will automatically send Group join request.

https://www.evolvehq.com/recruit/group?token=player:VDjGmrCXjMbwDlgg,group:Pr48SnZIa4eStFb7

Man  your real campaign to evolve in XI ..still think it's to big and by the time you get everyone on it .it going take half your desktop .Plus you still can't change name in your profile..

tried log in and got this message..

Server Capacity Full

Edited by LaRSin

@@LaRSin oh wow ummmmmm  Ya that's not good

Was playing around with it a bit this morning Really liking the Group layout but that Server Cap? Won't work.Looks like they are trying to Force "Donations" or Limit access.

Issue: Could Not Log In Because Server Capacity Reached If you're getting a message telling you that Evolve could not log in because the server capacity has been reached, it means we're under heavy load and have enforced a population limit on users that haven't donated. We were forced to do this because until recently, we couldn't afford new database hardware to keep growing our capacity. See this blog post for details: https://www.evolvehq.com/blog/960 If you'd like to bypass the population limit, consider a donation to Evolve Helix, or a subscription to Party+. Both will let you bypass the limit. You can donate or subscribe using our shop: https://www.evolvehq.com/shop Issue: Frozen Spinner on Connecting Screen If the client log in screen has frozen with a circular spinner and the message Connecting... on it, there's a chance a firewall or other network device is blocking access to port 5222 on one of our servers. You should check with your network administrator to see what might be going wrong.

Edited by Pvt.Death

Gona check out GSC http://www.getgsc.com/ looks pretty simple and they have been up and running since 2006 so i'm guessing it won't have any buggs lol.They are sponsored by GameServers and GameTracker so I doubt there will be any Fees.

Also going to give Raptr another try but it's quite buggy.

• Member ID:  561
  • Group:  ++++ Senior Admin
  • Followers:  84
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5334
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Achievement Points:  41339
  • Days Won:  29
  • Birthday:  04/06/1992

I would say GSC would be benched for the reason that the last update was 2009. It is certainly not future proofed.

duc

Awe WTF I remember GSC what a PAIN IN THE ASS.My old Clan used it a bit back when we rented from GameServers for our old BF1942/DC and MOHAA servers.

Looks like alot of people have adopted Raptr as a replacement allready so might as well go with that.lol It does have a few bugs with the overlay though.

post-2162-0-69477400-1436136340_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pvt.Death

Just on side note :

Steam could cost people who have not bought anything from steam , Or have to put money in your account to spend later.

• Member ID:  2068
  • Group:  +++ COD5 Head Admin
  • Followers:  69
  • Topic Count:  1072
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  8432
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Achievement Points:  74894
  • Days Won:  64
  • Birthday:  05/23/1973

GSC looked ok and a pretty good match to what we were using xfire for but ya, too bad last update was so long ago, future becomes unknown.  Kinda like HLSW, not much new going on there either.  Steam and Origin I'd say are too specific to platform.  Never really used Overwolf but not big on the added apps thing if that is what is required for voice and chat, not sure.  Have Evolve but not really used but from earlier post, looks like server cap in place.  Checked out the site for Razer Comms and it does sound interesting, seams to have a lot of features, maybe too many, just my opinion.  Never used Raptr but from post above, maybe promising.  Will check that out next.

• Member ID:  133
  • Followers:  77
  • Topic Count:  602
  • Content Count:  6884
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Achievement Points:  44087
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  12/12/1971

Problems, or not:

1. TS;

a) To have to poke to get attention. You have to wait until the other side, has time.

B) No ingame notification.

c) If you are in TS, yes you might hear A(!) sound and with that how many chats can you handle with all those TABS(forming up), when someone wants to chat with you. 

d) ALT Tab-ing can cause crashes, memory leaks that when you go back into a game, it take 2 minutes to restore into a game. You are out of a game if you crash (with f.e. a Videocard driver crashed).

e) Microphone most likely required. (check requirements 3 years ago, not needed but only for introduction). 

f) No response and that oher side dude/girl is leaving, feelings are hurt. True fact.

g) You need to have a second monitor, to monitor TS activities. Especially for an Admin.

h) You just DO NOT want to play and nothing on, but not a client like Evolve, ..  <-  a THIRD Party program. That;

a) You can run at work, if you can.

B) Want to contact people outside a game.

c) Type with them

d) Making Video/Game capture.

e) Not have to ALT TAB

I gave some many things already in my early post, but no arguments, discussions or that can tell me, to answer them.

It is like, hey, I like I said before.

PROS AND CONS of all of them.

• Member ID:  3189
  • Followers:  93
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  5234
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Achievement Points:  48752
  • Days Won:  112
  • Birthday:  12/24/1957

Problems, or not:

1. TS;

a) To have to poke to get attention. You have to wait until the other side, has time.

B)No ingame notification.

c) If you are in TS, yes you might hear A(!) sound and with that how many chats can you handle with all those TABS(forming up), when someone wants to chat with you.

d) ALT Tab-ing can cause crashes, memory leaks that when you go back into a game, it take 2 minutes to restore into a game. You are out of a game if you crash (with f.e. a Videocard driver crashed).

e) Microphone most likely required. (check requirements 3 years ago, not needed but only for introduction).

f) No response and that oher side dude/girl is leaving, feelings are hurt. True fact.

g) You need to have a second monitor, to monitor TS activities. Especially for an Admin.

h) You just DO NOT want to play and nothing on, but not a client like Evolve, .. <- a THIRD Party program. That;

a) You can run at work, if you can.

B) Want to contact people outside a game.

c) Type with them

d) Making Video/Game capture.

e) Not have to ALT TAB

I gave some many things already in my early post, but no arguments, discussions or that can tell me, to answer them.

It is like, hey, I like I said before.

PROS AND CONS of all of them.

I used to agree with your a and b items, but not any more.

You can right-click a person, and "open a text chat" to them. I presume there is an in-game audible to let you know you have received a message. As for the low volume of the notifications, I've found there are volume sliders for all notification sounds, and you can even replace them with your own notification sounds if you want (I think, but I wouldn't anyway.) You can even create hot-keys to do things like switch between headphones and desktop speaker. Or switch mics if you have more than one.

Alt tab issues are complicated. Could be the game that crashes (or times out) or it might be the OS that has a problem with it. I've has WAY better luck alt-tabbing out of COD5 and returning without a crash after going to Win8.1. Crashed virtually every time in Win7. (can't stay out long or the game times out.)

The game overlay systems are similarly problematic. They might crash the game, or the chat app might crash. Or a game might just not be supported.

I'm still liking TS moving forward as it required no additional software than we are already using. I changed my vote to TS.

Edited by djMot

Yeah but you have to agree that with TS, you do not have a ingame popup.

What if you are in a game and been Away From Keyboard, do you see it? Does TS, blink with a new message, or does it stay "blue" at your taskbar.

TS is made to speak and chat, you can with a keyboard. I can make 1000 accounts and spam you with sub-chats and how can you stop me? 

Ps at TS: I can log in at once with how many computers I have ON OTHER ACOUNTS , Proxy/Spoof and other shit and all and good luck ignoring "me".

With the other options of what programs we can use, you have to be a friend, period.

Heard of something like "TunnelBear" or other(s)? I can fake my IP/ID/HardwareID/ re-run my old other computers. So easy to get on TS. 

Good luck with TS, password "crappy" and for future friends.

TS IS NOT SAFE, period.

(stupid poll)

• Member ID:  2691
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  170
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1459
  • Birthday:  04/18/1991

There is Raid Call. its like TS with voice chat and type-chat. doesnt allow you to message in-game but great sound quality. I just installed Evolve add DemonElf_XI.

Or spacedemon1 on steam and Razer comms

• Member ID:  21114
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  634

I reviewed a few options due a clan I'm tossing around the idea of using an xfire like client. Perfect timing, I can give you guys some insight

Already used Skype, Evolve and Raptr. My clan leader tested Razer Comm. We still have not settled on a solid winner. Perhaps we will just pick the lesser of the four evils.

Evolve might be worth holding your noise and voting for as notification noise is not that bad. It also have a group text chat feature, unlike Raptr.

Raptr's downfall was requiring the dying Adobe Flash plugin (seriously?), and no group text chat.

Skype lacks in-game overlay, search and join games, might be fine for other kinds of games such as browser but not FPS games.

Both Raptr and Evolve don't having working overlays in Windows XP, a major flaw for older game clans. Razer Comms is not for Win XP which is worst. Tested it in CoD, CoDUO and CoD2. None of the overlays worked. Evolve even states overlay works with Vista or higher. If I was to rank them on my opinion up what tier:

Tier 1:

Evolve

Razer Comms

Tier 2:

???

Tier 3:

Raptr

Tier 4:

???

Tier 5:

Skype (unless you guys go RTS/MMO this will not win)

If you guys are going to move away from older games then forget about XP support. It's well known that XP is now abandonware. Maybe you guys can make all divisions switch to your replacement excluding the CoD2 division due to them possibility having old PC's.

• Member ID:  252
  • Group:  +++ COD2 Head Admin
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  392
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  6417
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Achievement Points:  54337
  • Days Won:  30
  • Birthday:  03/22/1965

@@Warmonger....""If you guys are going to move away from older games then forget about XP support. It's well known that XP is now abandonware. Maybe you guys can make all divisions switch to your replacement excluding the CoD2 division due to them possibility having old PC's.""

Cod2 players have for the most part upgraded beyond the newest of games coming out

Im looking at this as possibly having to run multi platforms depending on game type..

GSC while it has not been upgraded it is a gameserver.com program and they are still supporting games

and I think it would work well with our COD2 severs and players alike but not with others maybe

Has anyone or could someone make contact with them to see if they would consider any future upgrades to it seeing how

Xfire has shut down and bring on support for other game types